1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Screaming hot wood

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Baron23, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I can't remember who, but someone was always asking for pictures of blank WITH later pictures after they had been shaped. Below is the blank that I previously showed for the custom SX-1 project that I am doing. Following that are pictures of the semi-inletted stock, duplicated by Wenig from our pattern stock. Hope you enjoy, I am thrilled (stock was sprayed with alchohol to bring out the color and grain...it will be getting a 15-20 coat oil finish with just a touch of red in it to bring out color and figuring).

Blank

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=DSCN5119-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=DSCN5118.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Stock - left side

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=SX-1stocksemi-inletted1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Stock - right side

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=SX-1stocksemi-inletted2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Fore end

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=SX-1stocksemi-inletted3.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Woah, that is PRETTY! Love the left side, especially.

3. mecman

mecman TS Member

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. fri

fri Member

Baron,
    That is a peice of Califorina English from Cecil Fredi.It will be truely exceptional when finished. I have bought many many blanks from Cecil for my shotguns over the past 15 years. There is NO ONE better in the wood business and none better that GOD himself has made. What gun does it belong to? You will be a very happy man...something to be proud of.

Fritz

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

nice, I advise closer to 40 coats of oil.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

good looking wood-

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Baron23

Thank you recurvy and mecman (by the way recurvy, are you in the Maryland area...I thought I saw where someone posted that they would see you at PG...just wondering if that is Prince George Trap and Skeet Center? Wonder if we have ever run across each other...I would be the guy in the tutu shooting the crap out of skeet targets LOL).

Fritz - that's either amazing that you knew it came from Cecil or you recognize the way he numbers and prices his blanks. You are absolutely correct on all counts...the wood came from Cecil and I can't say enough good things about doing business with this gentleman. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more wood from him or recommend him. This is going on a SX-1 that is being engraved by Ken Hurst...I posted some pictures of the receiver still in the white a month or so ago. This will probably be the most expensive SX-1 in existence when we get done, but what's life without an obsession or two? :) Ernest Marlette will do the high polish hot bluing and I have never seen better. The fore end is...well, ok, but its a fore end for an auto and will be mostly checkered. I should think some strong straight grain in such a piece of wood would probably be for the best.

Jerry - Maybe 40...we will see how it takes and fills. Both I and Boone Berlin, the stock maker, are going for a real no-sh*t English best gun quality oil finish...or near as we can get without having apprenticed at Purdy for 20 years.

Gene - thanks also

By the by, yes I am proud of the wood and wanted to show it off, but the real purpose is that, like some others, I often look at a blank and have trouble seeing what it will look like once rendered into a 3D stock shape. I thought these before and after pictures might help someone with that.

Stephen Meyers

8. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Stephen ,

You've done well ! ! I am happy for you .

Charlie

9. recurvyarcher

Stephen, I do shoot at PG...was just there on Sunday for most of the day. Does this mean that I get to look at the wood in person?!!!!!

Oh, Goody. I'm a sucker for Figure.

10. Baron23

Hi Recurvy - yes, you can see it in person if we both don't die of old age before I get this project finished. You ever notice that they whole country is running at a faster pace than ever except for custom gun guys LOL

I am very often at PG. I am a skeet shooter (yeah I know...the tutu's in the dry cleaner right now though) and have run the NorthSouth Skeet shoot out of PG for the last four years...ask Mark, Chen or Morgan who Stephen Meyers is and perhaps we will have a chance to meet and say Hi. Its nice to put a face to the nice people you meet on some of the boards.

I will be looking for the killer female trap shooter out there LOL

Best Regards,

Stephen

11. recurvyarcher

I'll ask them, and I'll see you there! I'm sure I must have seen you before.

12. recurvyarcher

Hey Miller, I heard that all skeeters are pretty...

13. Baron23

Recurvy - while normally a fine gentleman, when it comes to competition for a woman's good opinion, that Jimmy Miller is a complete lowlife LOL

Its a classic case of projection...he's ugly as sin while I am....beautiful LOL

I bet we run into each other out there and go "oh...so that's who you are" :)

Jim - I have found Mr. Berlin to be a dedicated craftsman, a fine young man of good character, and honest and forthright. I think you are right... we are going to have one darn fine stock when this is done.

Jerry - I will continue to post pictures. I am trying to get pictures of all aspects thoughout the process. This is the second stock

I have been encouraged to write a small article, lots of pictures...perhaps for shooting sportsman, on the experience of a gun project from the view of a complete novice. This is my first project gun and it has been a learning experience and a pleasure in many respects, not the least of which has been becoming friends with the craftmen working on it and learning much undocumented knowldege about their personal history and the history and evolution of their art. I had an opportunity to go down to see Ken and Boone about 6 weeks ago. Ken asked is a fella who lives close by me and also wanted to visit could catch a ride. Turns out this fella Tom is not only a very nice guy, he is an expert collector of Parkers and has successfully taken upon himself to learn the art of damascus barrel rust bluing restoration. I still know next to nothing about Parkers and rust bluing of classic barrels, but the time flew by on the trip. This is just an example of what I mean.

14. Baron23

Mr. Bledsoe...please feel free..indeed, please do post those pics of the Boone Berlin Mod 21 stock. I would very much like to see them.

Thanks

Stephen Meyers

15. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

WOW Stephen, she's going to be a looker!! And a shooter as well ;^)

16. Baron23

TT - thanks and yep...its going to shoot great. I remember our talking about the one gentleman who thought I was making a mistake having the stock made to actual competition dimensions versus a good looking but more classical shape. Well, I'm still happy with the direction we went in with offset comb, good MC shape, and toed out. Although the factory MC trap stocks fit me pretty well, they don't fit as good as this, so I'm keeping the pattern stock and may someday have another stock made for an other one of my SX-1s.

Personally, I think the stock shape we ended up with is "classical"...its just a matter of taste.

Jim Bledsoe - again, please sir...post the pics of the Booone Mod 21 stock. I would really like to see them....or e-mail to me at s.l.meyersxxx@comcastxxx.net (remove xxx's) and I will post them.

Cheers

Stephen

17. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Would you mind sending me Mr. Fredi's website or address. I am very impressed with this wood and more impressed with the positive comments regarding his character. Leave offf the xx's, xxcab4trap@insightbb.com .
    Charlie Becknell

18. Baron23

Mr. Bledsoe - thank you for posting the pics of the Boone Berlin Mod 21 stock....extremely nice looking, love to be able to examine in person.

Mr. Becknell - Cecil Fredi

www.gunstockblanks.com

Cheers

Stephen

19. 1oz

1oz Member

Keep the pictures coming .Boone has a piece of English that I'm excited about that I hope I can share the same. Question doesn't Boone do all his checkering by hand???? Ken, Stephen can you answer or anyone????

20. Baron23

Yes, he does hand checkering. I can't imagine any customer stock maker sending a piece of wood out for laser or press checkering!

In my case, versus the Mod 21 stock above, we are going to do borderless 24 lpi checkering....all depends on what you want, what's appropriate for the gun, etc.

Boone and I have discussed checkering pattern elements that I like and what I don't want on this particular gun. I expect that after the Southern SxS I will be getting drawings of his suggested pattern to meet my desires while still taking advantage of his skill and aesthetic input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.