1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

scratches in varnish?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

During the recent moving process my main sbt got some light scratches in forearm surface. If this was a piece of furniture, I could easily fix it with steel wool and spray varnish. Here comes the dumb question: Any way that I could do this with my bt-99 without screwing it up worse? Has anyone tried? thanks Bill

2. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

Try some 0000 steel very lightly and 600 grit wet/dry paper. Try to get to the bottom of the scratches. Always work with the grain. then apply some Tru-oil a drop at a time rubbing with a finger tip or two blending into the surrounding area. Do as many coats as you need. 10 or 15 might be enough using the steel wool and 600 between coats. DO NOT LEAVE THE TOP OFF THE Tru-oil bottle. It will develop a skim coat in seconds.

Paul A. Bobby

3. drgondog

drgondog Member

I do it the same way as Paul.

When I'm done with Tru Oil, tighten the cap and store upside down.. any residual 'stuff' floats away from bottle mouth.

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have used MinWax polyurethane that worked out very well. Very fine scotchbrite pad lightly over just the area with scratches, degrease area with rubbing alcohol and then apply thin coat of poly over scratched area with fingers. When poly just starts to get tacky rub with lint free cloth until the surface is shiny and smooth. Allow to dry and apply additional coats until you are happy with the results. You may have to use scotchbrite pad again lightly between coats if poly builds up too thick on surface during process. Just did forearm on my TM that had a lot of handling marks and can't see where the marks were.

5. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I have used super glue on scratches, not dents. Fill the scratch let dry a day or two sand the spot with a block untill filled with 1200 wet paper then 2000 buff with compound to blend. thanks Ronnie

6. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Brownell's sells a stock finish called Gun Sav'r and it comes in satin or gloss. Browning uses a stain in their finish, so as long as you lightly sand the scratches out and not go to the bare wood it should match well. No need to buff or sand this finish after you apply it. It's best to do a couple of light coats than one heavy one.

7. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

Moststocks today are poly finished. durable and tough-- not my choice - for a repair it works well because it dries hard and you can wool and sand after overnite drying. my choice is true oil or tung oil. sand litely -- fine wool apply till satisfied. Marv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.