1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

scratches in stock finish

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by james huffington, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

To you wood refinishers out there, help! i just got a scratch on my stock, not into the wood, just the finish, which is matte finished polyurethane, how can i best remove said scratch without redoing the whole stock, all advise will be greatly appreciated, good shooting and smokum. Big Jim

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Unless the scratch is very light the best you can do is partially cover it up with a stain/wax like Old English. I am sure some will advise buffing it out with fine steel wool. This is OK if it is a very light scratch that is difficult to see. If it is a deep scratch and you try steel wool, you easily could end up with a dull area and a scratch. My suggestion is to wax the scratch and live with the blemish. Guns show wear with use.

Pat Ireland

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Or try this. Put masking tape on both sides of the scratch. Than carefully fill scratch with super glue. That may just fill in the scratch. Lightly sand with quadruple steel wool for matte finish and blending. BE CAREFUL THOUGH! And I DO NOT accept any responcibility for your stock.

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I am going with Pat Ireland on this one. Guns pick up handling marks. The only way to get rid of scratches is to remove the old finish and steam it out. Then you have to try and get a good waterproof finish back onto the gun. Unless you love working with wood and would rather spend your days trying to get a good finish back onto the gun, live with the scratch and try to avoid more damage.

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Shoot the thing until it looks like hell. Refinish just before selling for the best price. Tools get use marks. If the gun is so valuable that a refinish would reduce the price and you are holding it for the "investment" then put it in the safe and look at it once in a while.

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Well hell, just take it and beat it against a fence post a bit, than a small scratch won't mean squat.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Leave it alone, you'll only make it worse. Instead of a poly finsish it may be an epoxy finish. It's very difficult or impossible to make an invisible repair on those finishes. An oil finish is easy to repair. The more you work on it the uglier it will get. If you don't believe that go ahead and fool with it then check back and let us know how well it turned out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.