1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scratched Stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EJ555, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EJ555

EJ555 TS Member

I have an XT and it is by far the nicest gun in my big metal box. To protect it I leave it in its hardcase with one end open for ventilation. I don’t know how it happened but there is a scratch about ¾” long on the forearm aft of the checkering. It’s deep enough to hook my fingernail in so I’m unsure about trying to buff it out. It would seem some sort of filler would be needed. I was thinking of an auto paint pen in a clear coat but I just don’t know.
    Has anyone fixed their own stock dings? I’m sure there a dozen stock smiths I could send it to but I’m kind of a DIY guy.
    Thanks,
    Earl

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The first scratch is always a bummer. You'll get over it. I wouldn't try to buff it out. If you go through the finish on a Browning you will have bigger problems. You could end up worse of trying to fix it so beware.

3. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

After the kids were grown and out of college I bought my first non-meat gun, a Beretta Silver Pigeon. Every time I handled the gun it would bump into something. I scratched the gun first time putting it in the safe. An older regular at the trap club said if you don’t shoot and scratch it, someone would after you’re gone. Bummer about the scratch, know how it feels.

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Fill it with super glue and buff it down flush with the original finish.

Jim

5. loop02

loop02 Member

I have repaired a lot of dents and scratches in stocks. You can fill the scratch with finish. Try minwax poly, i t will probably match. Fill it up, 1 coat every 24 hours. sand it flush, last pass use 1000 grit paper, and then buff it to match. You can get a cheap buffing wheel for a drill, and some green polishing compound.

6. EJ555

EJ555 TS Member

Great tips. I'll try em - Thanks, Earl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.