1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scrap Turkish Walnut from my stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by little gambler, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

I purchased a Blank from Luxus a while back, took it to my stocker, when he rough cut the blank out for form, I got the scrap- not wanting to waste what I had paid for.......I built a few pens, letter opener, and wine bottle stopper from the scrap of the wood.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Nice job!

3. TC

TC TS Member

Very nice! Tony

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If they were large enough ya shudda made handgun grips.

5. black_wal_nut

black_wal_nut TS Member

also how much do you charge, if you do make pens like this for others. just wondering i have a TON of scraps and ive always wanted some pens made out of the stuff. maybe considering trade for wood?? let me know thanks

steven

6. Guy

Guy Member

Rick: Use some for a stock tool handle. Guy

7. J.D. Squire

J.D. Squire Member

Are any of the pens for sale?

J.D.

8. little gambler

Blackwalnut 20-25 bucks plus the cost of the pen kit would be the price I'd say. I'm always open to trades. J.D. my girlfriend has claimed all but the big one, and that is the one that I am keeping for myself. I have no idea what a normal piece of scrap wood would turn out like, these all started from a blank that was slightly better than average.
    [​IMG]

9. little gambler

1oz, my Stocker is shaping it now, probably 70% done, should have pic's of it when I go to the pattern board in a week or so. l.g.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

WOW... Beautiful wood.. and beautiful work... Looks fantastic.. All Good.. Mike

11. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Cool stuff - ever consider making flyrod reel holder inserts?

Don't forget to put up a picture of that stock - looks like it will be a beauty!

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ricky.... Is John doing the stock work?..... Dan

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

L.G., you too are very creative with wood!! Those pens etc. look fantastic!! I can only imagine what your new stock will look like!! Great job guy!!

Hap

14. little gambler

Thanks for the kind words guys. Kevin: I have no idea what a fly rod holder looks like, but if you want to buy it.....I'd like to be the guy who sells you a couple.... I'll have to look and see what it looks like up on the ol net and get back to you.

Dan, Yes Stocker is building the wood, I used him as he was about an hour from my house and I wanted to make sure it was perfect before I got too deep into it, I've went down a couple of times to check out the height and grip a couple of times, I'm getting really close now.

Here is a photo of how it has turned out, the forearm was not a good match to this blank after the stocker carved it out, the guys at Luxus were excellent to deal with- I bought a replacement to see if it will match up a little better, it will be hard to find something that will match this buttstock as it looks a little unusual from a normal piece of wood. This was not any fault from Luxus, I thought it would be closer than what it was, color was dead on but figure vs grain was another story.

Also traded some fruit for some scrap wood.......I should have some new high end pens, wine bottle stoppers and other stuff in a few days....... This scrap wood is way better than I can get at a pen supply store. I should have some turkish wine bottle stuff, and tiger striped myrtle wood pens if everything shapes up......... this stuff is going to look pretty good. If anyone is having a new stock built and wants some stuff made from your scrap wood let me know (that way you can always carry part of your gun with you). l.g.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Wow, Awesome! What a great idea. I'll keep your contact information.

16. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Wow. Gorgeous.

17. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Do any of your pens come in release or double release? Also, what choke do the pens come in?

18. little gambler

Any choke you want I can make it.......you want the ink to just barely come out........or I can make it pour our into your shirt.......:) I have some stuff in production should have a few up on another thread later tonight. l.g.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

scrap turkish walnut

turkish walnut scrap

turkish walnut scrap price