1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scrap Lead Prices?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootintom, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

I'm in the Central PA area and was wondering what scrap lead goes for around the country?

Thanks.

Tom

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

here in mass its alover the place for recylers buying scrap
    lead wheel weights--clean as no trash zinc or stick on weights are about .20lb/250lbs or more
    pure lead such as pipes and plumbers lead gets a bit more
    sheilding lead from low level radiation containment gets a bit more
    linotype and other high tin antimony gets a touch more still
    batteries are @ 4.00 ea or roughly .15/lb
    There isnt much scrap lead to be found in my area, wheel weights are getting harder to obtain and the fishing guys grab alot of the available used wheel weights. The bigger chain stores are even hard still to get the used wheel weights from.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I run a non-ferrous metals buying station between Harrisburg and York, PA. My company lowered its scale prices on lead yesterday to 35 cents per pound for clean and 20 cents for dirty (wheel weights, etc.). Batteries dropped from 15 cents a pound to 10 cents.

Most metals are dropping right now, including lead. We've had numerous discussions about the lead market and shot prices on here and I keep saying that if we don't buy any, the price will drop due to supply exceeding demand. If anyone doubts that theory, look at tomatoes right now. Their prices went sky-high and people and restaurants cut way back on their purchases. Now that has created an overstock and prices are falling fast - so fast and so far that some farmers were quoted as saying they'll let them rot before selling them that cheap.

Granted, shot doesn't spoil like tomatoes, so the impact of a sales slowdown would take longer to affect shelf prices, but sooner or later, the shot companies will need cash flow and it would.

Ed

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Well Ed, how do we start this boycott of lead products? Do we do it the same way we do gasoline?

Ajax

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Simple - just don't buy any shot. I know this is a tough time to do that, what with the state shoot season in full swing. But it's the only way we shooters can have an impact on what we pay for the stuff.

What do auto manufacturer's do when demand for new cars drops? They offer rebates or just lower the price of the car in order to keep the plants running and avoid laying off employees. Shot manufacturers would react the same way.

Gasoline is a different animal. We all need it every day to get to work and what not, but none of us HAS to shoot.

Ed

6. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

You can track metal prices at www.kitcometals.com Bob

7. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

LeadMiner,

I'm not buying new lead, I'm looking at prices of scrap lead in different areas. What is your price for reclaimed shot and where are you from?

Tom

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'm in SE PA. I was speaking to a lead mining firm yesterday and was told getting $0.55/lb for clean reclaimed shot would be very, very good in today's market. Last year we had some lead mined and got $0.55/lb, delivered in the Summer and $0.35/lb, delivered in the fall.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

If we want to force a lower lead price with a boycott, we should get everyone to stop buying automobile batteries and stop buying automobiles that have batteries in them. This could also lower gasoline prices and our insurance rates. But, the resulting low price of shot would do us little good if we couldn't drive to the club to shoot the cheap shot.

Pat Ireland

10. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I believe the massive amounts of lead and copper being bought up by China and India has more do with prices than the piddling amount we shooters use.

Kiv

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

east cost yeah teah, massachusetts maybe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.