1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scotland?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Anybody been there? Looking for best time of year and where to go. Or any info you might have. Bill

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Unless you like bad weather, I would say June to first 2 weeks of September. Lots of green at that time. If you do a MSN search (try not to gugle as they are SO ANTI-GUN) and search for Scotland and travel, you have hours to browse.

If you are looking to play golf while you are there, make reservations EARLY and with the greenskeeper, NOT the clubhouse. Friend of mine did this at St. Andrews, and almost did not get to play. Helped he was of Scottish descent.

Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee are the major cities, but if you want to get a 'true' picture of Scotland, get to the country.

Have fun. Wish I could go with ya. Remember Laddie, If it ain't Scot, it's craaap! ;)

3. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Check out this info at above site.

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

My wife is of Scotish decent, and I want to take her there for our 20th aniv. which will be july 1st 2009. That gives me enough time to plan ahead if I start now. Her Grandfather came here from a small town near edinburgh so that will be on the list. I don't play golf so not to worry about that. Bill

5. tlea

tlea TS Member

Been going there every spring for the past 6 - 7 years. Love it there. We usually go in mid April or so. Weather has been cool, but good. Be ready for Dollar/Pound shock. Somewhere around $2.02 to 1 Pound. This makes gasoline somewhere around $7.25 a gallon. Eating out is very expensive. Be ready to drop $20 on a pizza and 2 Sprites, and $6 - $7 for a pint of Guinsess(sp). Hopefully you'll have somewhere to base from and buy groceries! If we aren't traveling all over hells creation, we rent a cottage for the week. Comes with kitchen, etc. DO NOT miss the Highland Games! It's an all day affair, but worth every minute. If you're going to try to get to a lot of historical places, you might take a look at the British Heritage Pass.

And: driving on the "wrong side of the road" was a piece of cake for me.

I'm from central Illinois, but have tons of printed material on Scotland.

Tom

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Hopefully AJ will weigh in here with some info....

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

There is not a bad time to visit Scotland. Scotland and Ireland are two of my favorite places. I love to wander through the old castles and historic buildings. My best trip was in December. It was not too cold and almost no other tourists around. My wife and I had free reign of many castles and we slept in a couple by ourselves. I pretended that I was the King and I found out that the Queen had final authority. Neat sleeping in the same room that was the site of several murders. Fish and chips wrapped in newspaper with grease dripping out the side is really good. The train is a great way to travel. Buy a pass, go to the station, and a train will be by in a few minutes going where you want to go. You do not need to look at the train schedule.

Pat Ireland

8. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Bill,

By all means GO! It is a beautiful and fabulous place to visit. I was there in 1998 and my lifes dream is to be able to go back someday after I retire.

We were there the last week in April and the weather was a bit cool but not by any means intolerable.

We headquartered in Edinborough at the Caledonian. By all means visit Edinborough but DO NOT headquarter there unless you have tons of money. It is a beautiful city but very costly. Our trip was free but I found out later that our room/suite cost the sponsor $565 per night. There is much to see there but other cities offer much also.

We had full use Brit Rail passes and it was a simple matter of reading the schedule and then just hopping on the train to go wherever you wanted to go. We visited Glasgow, Dundee, St. Andrews and many other small cities. When I go back I want to stay in the town of St. Andrews. It sits right on the North Sea and it is fabulous! Dundee has an old sailing museum that sits right next to the depot where you depart the train. It was closed when we were there on a Sunday and I would love to go see it.

I would make an effort to stay or see more of the Western Highlands if I could. WOW is it ever beautiful especially when the heather is in bloom.

There was this old abandoned prison that sits on the bridge that crosses the Firth of Fourth. It was always fun to go by there and have the engineer blow the whistle loudly and watch as THOUSANDS of Sea Gulls filled the air.

One thing you need to know. By and large, English and Scottish cuisine is not good. The old jokes about English cooking is not so much a joke as reality. You have to be picky!

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I spent a couple of days in Glasgow on a business trip. Took the wife. We drove up the eastern motorways from Huddersfield, near Manchester where I had been doing business the week before. Beautiful drive.

Took a day trip to Edinburgh on the one day I had off. Really enjoyed the tour of Edinburgh Castle, and the bus tour of the city.

While you're there you have to try the local dish haggis, with tatters and neeps. You might hate it, but you have to at least try it.

10. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Can't wait until I get to go...fiance is a Glaswegian.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

neat place-- probably April through Novemember

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Went just after Labor Day in '97 - had a fabulous time, and the locals all were commenting on how unusually good the weather was. Stayed in 'hire cottages' - private accomodations rented out via some network. I've no idea how to reach the network now, but if you don't mind making your own breakfast, it's a great way to go. The first was what I would call either upper lower class or lower middle class row house in Inverness (a LOVELY place) and the second was a cottage on a sheep farm in Old Hampstocks - a tiny town whose only business is the post office.

Drive. Even at the ridiculous prices they get for gas, driving on the 'wrong' side is not hard, and you'll be ambidriverous in no time. The locals are amazingly understanding of tourists - if you turn onto the wrong side of the road (their wrong), they'll just stop and flick their lights at you. No horns. And you can go anywhere, any time.

There used to be a book - Scotland the Best - that Amazon shows is still available. Get it - and forget all of the commercial travel guides, unless you just want one for background info. This truly is the best.

Drink single malt - have a different one each night. It's cheap. Don't bother buying any to bring home; I bought several bottles and found out that I could have gotten all but one of them cheaper here. The last one, from a now-closed distillery, is now worth about $350 - but I doubt I'll open it.

If you're interested in the history, there are several books by David Ross called 'On The Trail Of . . .' - Robert the Bruce, William Wallace, and so on. He is looking for their surviving traces. I wish I had had them when I was there. Amazon has them.

Have a blast. I wish I were going again. This time with the big camera - I only had the 4x5 then. I got a couple of really neat shots of one of the great abbeys on a Sunday morning, before the monument opened. Set up the tripod in the parking lot across the street and shot up the nave, then stepped up and shot through the fence for the side view. If you're into film photography, take both color and B&W - there will be a lot of overcast times when color doesn't work all that well. And it's not the greatest at midday in any event. But that's when B&W can come into its own.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.