1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scotch Duck Call

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bocephas, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

You could buy them years ago.Have not seen one for at least 20 years.

I think they were made for the hunter that could not master the art of blowing a regular duck call.

Bocephas

2. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Scotch duck calls were for duck hunters who couldn't blow a call. A friend of mine bought one and sounded a whole lot better than when he tried to blow one.......Roger

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Scotch Duck Call = Cutty Stark in the coffee in a cold blind.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you hold it in your hand and shake it it makes a better feeding call than most would be callers can.

HM

5. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

They also made a smaller version of the duck call, about 6" long, for squirrels. You tapped it against your thigh or tree trunk and it made the third-best squirrel call I ever heard. There are some imitations on the market now that are not worth anything, whoever makes them apparently has never heard a squirrel bark or chatter. The best squirrel call I ever had was made by Herter's in the '60's and it sounded exactly like a squirrel, it was the type you blow into. But mine wore out in the '80s, Herter's was only a memory, and despite trying literaly a dozen or more since then, none are squirrel calls, they are most likely re-labeled duck calls because that is what they sound like. My father could place a half-dollar in the circle made by his left forefinger and thumb, then strike it with another half-dollar and the sound was even better than the Herter's call. I can't do it nearly as well, even using the old real half-dollars, not the pot-metal ones in circulation today.

6. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

My wifes dad gave her one he used to use when she started hunting ducks with me about twenty years ago. I remember them from high school. You are right they make a feeding chuckle better than most callers. The only bad thing is all the movement in the blind. She does not go on a decoy hunt with out it and she kills lots of ducks. Enjoy! Wayne

7. 1dudley

1dudley Member

I have the Scotch duck call and also a Scotch for Canadian geese. Both were very effective. They are about 25 years old now. Doug

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

A nice one. Jeff

9. Hooked

Hooked Member

Primos still makes something similar.

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.