1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

+++SCOTCH BRITE PADS+++++

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMOKEIT, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

____A few years ago I bought a cleaning rod that uses Scotch Brite Pads. Now I don't remember where I bought them. The pads come in a roll about 4 in wide and 5/16 thick. Anyone know where I can purchase these pads? Anybody else use them? I think they work great.....SMOKIT

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

"Johnny" sold them; they work great I agree.

Neil

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Sam's Club has the larger Scotch Brite pads in a box of 10-12 for about $7. Maybe these can be cut to fit. I use them on a lot of things especially BBQ grill tops.

Ed Ward

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

most grocery stores have them in the kitchen department or a hardware store. any auto body supply store and some auto parts stores

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You need to be careful with Scotch-Brite type products. They're not all the same. The color of the product is a key to its abrasiveness.

Several years ago a company out west called Performance Specialties marketed a brass cleaning jag that held a 1" wide strip of 4" long light gray Scotch-Brite type material as the cleaning abrasive. In trying to find out what they used I emailed the company and they were very clear that most regular S-B abrasives will scratch barrels.

They use a generic material they purchased from McMaster-Carr in 4-inch rolls (although the same grade of material is available from Scotch-Brite). Here is the web address of the product. Because of the nature of the page, open the link in a separate tab or window so you can return to this thread.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#scotchbrite-abrasive-pads/=7hqxgs

As a Scotch-Brite pad, the 3M number is #7448, McM-C P/N 46365A32

As the generic 4" roll material, the McM-C P/N is 4659A61.

As the generic pad, the McM-C P/N is 46365A72.

This is what was recommended to me and I have not put a mark in the barrel of any of the 5 guns I use it in wetted with Ed's Red.

MK

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Grocery stores have them in the aisle with sponges, cleaning stuff, etc.

Eric

7. Unknown1

Peasant, you've been reading too many spy comics!

I'm not going to try to explain to you why you can't "back" to here.

If you want to come back here after you check the page, open the page in a separate tab or window.

The page is safe!

MK

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

your best and fast is an auto parts that sells paint and body repair stuff they have 4 grades S&W paint stores do too there is a green, red, dk gray ,and lt gray . course to supper fine

9. Unknown1

I don't ever remember seeing shotgun stuff on his web site. I asked him why and he said that he felt that it wouldn't fit in well with the model airplane supplies. If you email him, he can still supply the jags (and probably other things as well).

MK

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I buy them by the case at Body shop supply places ... I use them to resurface bowling balls as well ... Google Scotch Brite and you will find many suppliers both wholesale and retail ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

_____Thanks for all the input--Especially MK for the ordering detail..SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.