1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scot Kaletta

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ole 31, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ole 31

ole 31 TS Member

Funny Car driver Scot Kaletta(spelling)was killed in funny car accident during qualifying

2. SR1

SR1 TS Member

It is a sad day in drag raceing today.

3. Soot Them All

Soot Them All Active Member

Its spelled Scott Kalitta, sad but he was a seasoned vet driving a bomb, he knew the risks, but still a great loss. SF..

4. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley TS Member

I drag raced a jr dragster from the time I was 8 to 17 and it always makes your heart stop for a second when you see one of the guys you looked up to go through something like that. My heart goes out to his family.

5. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Campaigned a AA fuel dragster in the early 60's, Don Garletts signed my license, it was a scarey ride never broke 200mph, 196 was my best but with a front engine car ,we had the tiger by the tail, I can't imagine what these cars are doing @ over 300 mph in under 5 secs., Shirley & Connie were an item in my hey day, Scott rest in peace---you made us all proud---Phil

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Such a shame. That team was just starting to come around with a runner-up at Chicago. I really feel sorry for his family and for his Dad Conrad who saw it occur, and knew it had to have a real bad result. Back end blew off and along with it the chutes. Sad day at Englishtown.

7. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Its a sad weekend in the drag racing community. It is a dangerous sport. Some people don't think about it until it hits close to home. May he rest in peace. Don

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Prayers go out to his family. Very sad day iundeed!

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

My thoughts and prayers to the dragsters and his family!

Matt

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Robert Hight in John Force's AAA car was paired against Kalitta in Sunday's eliminations. Of course after the accident it was a single run. Robert just idled the car down the track after the green, which showed a lot of class. Of course Robert is a trapshooter so you expect that.
    Probably more than most racing, the NHRA racers are a community, sure they argue and grumble but when a tragedy occurs they all feel it and stick together.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The track was built for the cars back in the 60's when they were going 100 MPH slower and didn't need the shut down area ... He probably never knew what hit him being as he was probably out cold from the first explosion when the engine let loose ... It is truly tragic but they will all be out there again next week because thats what they do ... I raced for many years and nothing would of ever kept me from going to the track if I had my mind set on going and the car on or in the trailer ... Condolances to his family and the many friends that he made over the years ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. 27 yrdz

27 yrdz TS Member

it's really amazing to me that the NHRA as safety minded as they are even sanctioned a race at that track without a sand pit / runout area on it .........poor foresight if you ask me ........I'm bettin that when the dust clears you won't see anymore sanctioned racing on that track without some changes ....too late for Scott tho ........

13. 27 yrdz

27 yrdz TS Member

point WAS .......the track isn't long enough for the speeds they run today as compared to 1970 ........if the shutdown area/ sand pit had been longer he would never have got to the pole ......I've been around drag racing my whole life also and top fuel cars pop the blower and run into sand pits all the time .....most of them are on tracks that have been lengthened to deal with the higher speeds they run now ....from the video it looked like the sand pit wasn't very long and a concrete wall was at the end of it .....a longer runout area and deeper sand box might have saved him ......

14. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Sad to say, but his fate probably would have been better at most any track but Englishtown.

15. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

My friend Marv Eldridge also hit a pole ( Drifted off) I think about 1963/64
    went to his funeral. Sorry for Scott and my condolences to his family. Marv white

16. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

This brings another idea of what happened and why __-<BR>
    By Gary Graves and Travis Braun, USA TODAY
    After inspecting where fellow Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta died Saturday, Tony Pedregon knows what he first must do at this weekend's Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals in Norwalk, Ohio.
    "My next step is to inspect the track" for shutdown areas, Pedregon said, after the NHRA couldn't answer his questions about whether Kalitta had adequate room to stop before hitting the retaining wall and exploding during qualifying at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, N.J.

"I didn't realize that I'd have to be the one to go to the end of the track to see what was there. My goal is to compose an e-mail for (NHRA president) Tom Compton, because I'd like to get his thoughts and maybe because I should be more proactive in getting" answers.

Kalitta, 46, was a two-time Top Fuel champion who returned to racing Funny Cars in 2006.

The New Jersey State Police's Fatal Accident Unit, which includes a segment that oversees racing, and the NHRA are investigating. The NHRA has hired an outside group to reconstruct the accident scene.

Pedregon said he was bothered to find rocks or gravel instead of sand at the end of the drag strip, which might or might not have been able to stop Kalitta's momentum at more than 300 mph.

Pedregon had his own fiery wreck in February at Pomona, Calif. The defending Funny Car champion, whose Chevy caught fire at nearly the same distance as Kalitta, had only minor burns to his hands because he was able to flee his car.

He wonders if longer shutdown lanes and sand pits or water-filled barrels might slow the nitro-fueled cars in an emergency.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

When I was racing TF Funny Bike we used to pit up by Bob Glidden who became a rather good friend and he always did an extra safety equipment check because Englishtown made him nervous and that I was nuts riding a crotch rocket...so did Epping NH and in '82-83 they were still well under 200 in ProStock and his T-Bird was the one to catch

18. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Been there and done that,,,still have my 1973 t shirt from englishtown,,,,watched my father barrel roll and land upside down at 150 mph,,,,,,and 6 years later I was in the seat for his old team,,,,,It is in the blood,,,,grew up around the track,,,,dad and uncle were racers,,,,Knew most of the old time racers,,,alot of them are team owners now,,,,,they would race you hard,,,,and if you were in and they were out ,,,would lend you the parts you needed and help you put them in,,,,,some of the best people there are are at the track,,,,REST IN PEACE SCOTT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.