1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scoring opinion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikkeeh, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

I was recently shooting a Big 50 program. On about target 36 I believed I dropped a target, and indeed the scorer called "lost." When we finished the round, I had been scored a "25". I questioned the scorer, told her she called it "lost". She said "Im sure you didnt miss any, I have it score as 25."
    I hate to take an unearned score. What would YOU do?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ain't much you can do at that point. A miss-scored target needs to be addressed at the time of the call. Since the scorer called it lost like you believed it was, there would be no reason to addresss it at that time. The scorer likely made an incorrect mark on the score sheet.

You could have asked for the Field Supervisor to interject but I'm not sure they could do anything at that point. The scorers call is final.

You did nothing wrong.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Not being one to stand out in the hot sun arguing with young ladies......I'd take it.

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I would just make sure that she did not mark "0" on the person following me. If she did then I would consult with that person to make sure that he/she did indeed miss.

If you are pretty sure that it was the 36th target you should just insist that it be marked lost.

The mistake should have been caught when she read out the scores for the post on the post change. For me I have a hard enough time just keeping track of 5 so I pay attention to the post change reading of the scores.

5. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

This one is a no brainer. In my opinion there is only one way to play the game, tell her to mark it lost. I doubt the scorer or a referee would argue with you about it. If you would have crushed the target and the scorer called five on the post change and then you discovered it was marked lost at the end of the round by mistake you would have insisted it be corrected right?

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

According to the rules a target can't be changed after shooting starts on the next post (or next trap for the last post of the prior trap). So technically you can only change the score of the 36th target prior to shooting the first target on the next post. That's the rule.

All that said, I've seen the rule not followed. I don't really have a problem with someone reducing their score when reviewing the scoresheet at the end of the round (if they are sure they were given a target they didn't hit), regardless of where it occurred. But changing a lost target to dead after the round is over is a no-no in my book (and the ATA rule book).

I've lost a punch because a scorer called me for a five on a post but had incorrectly scored one target as lost. At the end of the round I found that the post was actually scored incorrectly, but at that point it's too late to change it so you take your medicine.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.