1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SCORES GO DOWN WHEN SHOOTING WITH RELATIVES?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i always wished that my wife and son would have wanted to shoot with me. i have known a few shooters that have shot tournament trap on the same squad with their wife or son. when i asked them if shooting with them affected their scores, they almost all said" i look at my wife or son's targets more than my own". most serious tournament shooters, that i know, have started shooting tournaments on different squads now, especially when it pertains to their wife. what do you think, do you think your scores would go down, shooting with a wife or son, or any other relative that you care about?
    steve balistreri

2. canada

canada Member

I shoot on the same squad with my dad every time i shoot. it has never bothered me and my dad says the same. if i werent shooting with him i'd be trying to watch his targets on the next trap anyways.

Its great to have a family member to share the same stories, and good times with. Its also nice to have someone to talk to between traps, and someone that knows how you shoot and can help you out too.

My dad and i were fortunate enough to win parent child at the grand one year, and walking across the trap to shake his hand after both shooting the first 100's in the carryover was one of my favorite memories shooting trap.

Pat Lamont

3. biff

biff Active Member

YES

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

pat- great comment about your dad. my father passed away in 2004. he was in world war ll on okinowa. he had a flame thrower on his back, had to go into tunnels that were all over the island. in the 70's, i took him to a quarry to shoot. i thought with him being in the military, he would like shooting. after he took some shots, he started to hand the gun to me. i asked him as he was handing it to me, if the shotgun was empty? he said it was, and then preceded to pull the trigger. the gun went off, missing my head by inches. i took him home, we were both so shook up, that he never shot again. shoot with your dad as long as possible. i envy you.
    take care,
    steve balistreri

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Steve,

That's not been my experience. I registered my first 100 straight in singles when my father was on my squad. And I registered my highest doubles score (a 99 in the Doubles Championship at the 2007 Grand) when he was also on my squad. He shot his highest doubles score in the class championship earlier in the week and we were on the same squad. If we didn't live 2,000 miles apart I'd shoot with him more often.

It's like a lot of things in this sport: If you want it to be a problem, it will be. Don't think about it, just shoot.

6. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

I can't speak about tournament shooting but I shoot league with my wife and two teenage children. At first I couldn't concentrate when shooting on the same squad with any of my family members. It no longer bothers me. The turning point for me with my son was when he started to outshoot me. I think for my wife and daughter it was when I realized that they were competant and safe that I quit worrying about them. My dad and brothers occasionally shoot with us also and it has never bothered me.

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Never, ever shoot with a relative unless its a big, beautiful, blond Cousin who's been after your bod for years! Lord forbid !

8. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I have been fortunate enough to shoot in the same squad with my father and my son many times. I never thought it affected any of our scores because we have shot together for such a long time that we know what to expect of each other. I guess we are all serious enough about shooting to not let it affect our individual efforts. When we are shooting together I basically treat them like other squad-mates to whom you are not related. I hope they do well, but for myself to worry about them, can not help them, so why worry?

I agree with canada about the stories and good times you share. My Dad is the only shooting "clinic" I ever took, if I am struggling he is who I ask for help.

In years past I also shot in squads with my late Grandfather and my Mom. I never believe it cost me a target, and if it did, it was worth it for the fun we had.

Ron Cox Jr.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Sympathy misses?

10. oz

oz Active Member

I don't care. I would rather shoot with my wife, it's more fun. you clowns probably want to get away from your wife (family) that's your problem. oz

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Steve ... ya got to sleep with em, live with em, raise em and really never get rid of them so why would you also want to shoot with them on the same squad? Of course your scores are going to go down cause you shoot to relax and how can you relax when you cant get rid of the family for a little alone time???

Seriously ... if your shooting with and looking at your wifes or other family members targets instead of thinking and focusing on what your doing then you are not really a serious tournament shooter due to the lacking of your ability to focus on the job at hand without being distracted by another shooter.

12. IM390

IM390 Member

Yes, my son beat me by one bird at the club shoot. He couldn't care less about me, but I was so proud of him shooting for the club title. I lost all my concentration. Just like Rodney Dangerfield. "I get no respect." How dare he shoot better than the guy who taught him everything he knows. lol Maybe I should have listened to me when I told him about concentrating.

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I've tried to shoot with my two boys at an ATA shoot. I cannot concentrate on my own game with both boys shooting with me. I even try to get to squadded earlier then them so I'm done when they start. (That way I can take pictures too).

They haven't shot in a month...anything, so that also helps in the shell department.

Basketball season has started and they don't like to shoot in the cold... (but they can snowboard and have snowball fights) but shooting, it's too cold. go figure. <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

14. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

I`ve found it`s best to wait for a holiday, when they all sit down to eat, fire away. Oh I`m sorry I thought the thread was about shooting at relatives.

Tom R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap score went down