1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scorers in lawn chairs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bernie K, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I was at the EZ shoot this past week, and want to get your thought on the scorers sitting in low lawn chairs. I have never been to a shoot other then NY where the scorers sit in lawn chairs. How can they see through a person to see the target? The grounds have the high scorer chairs but few use them. When I'm paying top dollar to shoot targets I expect to have the scorers in a chair where they can see the target all the way to the ground. Right or wrong? Thanks, Bernie.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

We use lawn chairs because the scorers chairs are almost impossible to get on to if you're over 20yo. The chairs are placed between posts 2 & 3 two yards behind the shooters. BTW no one complains about it either.

Eric

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The rule book is your friend..

e. referee/scorers must be provided with an unobstructed view of shooters. It is improper at an ATA shoot for shooters to supply their own referee/scorers. (Note - one (1) person may serve as referee/scorer. If the person or persons serving in these capacities is negligent or inefficient, the Management shall remove him/her or them.);

If his ass is planted on the ground he is obstructed. Have them positioned so they have that unobstructed view..

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Did the scorers get the results correct? If so, then your concern is moot.

Eric, I am considered "almost old" by the ATA yet still able to ascend the scorer's high chair thankyouverymuch. Howsomeever there are a couple in my club that are afeared of heights, or just too lazy to climb up...

Guy B.

5. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Eric, Are these registered targets or just club targets. Why are your chaies hard to get onto? How can you see a target all the way to the ground? If it goes out in front of the trap house you can not see it hit the ground. I have seen many targets called lost break in half about 4 feet off the ground, you can not see this from a lawn chair.

Remember the score keepers word is final. In a shoot off this past Saturday night a target was called lost by the score keeper in a handicap shoot off. The other shooter said DEAD TARGET this was the compeditor and the score keeper said lost, lost ruled.

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Guy: You haven't seen the chairs where I shoot. No easy way to get up to the seat.

Bernie:

Lawn chairs are used for everything. Trust me in that you can see the target right down to the water we shoot over. Here are a couple range pictures. This is Markham Park in S. Florida near Ft. Lauderdale.

Eric

mixer_2008_0303114.jpg

mixer_2008_0303115.jpg

7. schneep

schneep Member

When I score, I stand, and move between 2 & 3 and 3 & 4 station, so I can see all targets completely, naturally back around the 24/26 yard line for shooters on the 16. Never had a complaint.

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Nice facilities... Cool lights...

Complex chairs, but only three steps Ernie. Maybe someone could give you a boost???

Just kidding of course (about the boost).

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Guy:

As an FYI, Markham is a Broward County owned 670 acre park with a public target range for rifle, pistol & shotgun. The lights are Musco sports lighting with 3 poles per field with 10 fixtures in a 3-4-3 setup. All in all about a $300,000 computer controlled installation.

Even though the pictures make it look bigger there are only 5 fields, 4 combo trap & skeet and 1 five stand. There is also a world class 1.4 mile sporting clays course deep within the tree line. Before you ask, practice targets are higher here than most places being $8.50/25 and going up on Oct 1. It helps to be the only game in town.

Eric

10. revbook

revbook Member

$8.50 per 25 targets!! I can shoot 3 rounds at any of my local clubs for that.

Don in PA

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

$2.83 ain't too shabby Don, but that only generates enough revenue for tiki lamps for lights and an old 5 gal. spackle bucket for a scorer's perch.

Guy B.

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

At a club I belong we have chairs about that height (we built them) they do have a step & a footrest, the table part is hinged kinda like a childs highchair. Myself and several others are in the vet & senior vet age age group (I'm 71) and get ourselves into them without too much problem. They do provide a better view, they are on wheels so they can be moved around, and as per schneep I like mine between stations 3 & 4.

Have been a score-keeper for 40+ years and just finished being score-keeper for our registered shoot Sat. the 29th,, sure do wish that some shooters would be a little more considerate (as per Bernie K the O.P.) of the "other" person & wait an extra 1\2 second so the score-keeper COULD watch the target all the way to the ground. How would you like to lose a target because the next person called & shot before YOUR target hit the ground? To me that's very inconsiderate of your fellow shooters. Just my opinion, yours may vary. Ross Puls

Edit: mixer--we have all Canterbury voice release & even with that 2&1\2 or 3 second delay the 42mph set with a radar gun the target is still in the air sometimes.

13. mhill76

mhill76 Member

Big-M Perazzi:

Why would sitting in a lawn chair cause scorer to have an obstructed view of the shooters? They might have their view of targets obstructed, but I doubt they would have trouble seeing shooters.

Marty

14. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Ross:

Are you hand pulling or using voice release? There's a built in 2.5 second delay in the CVR system to give the trap machine time to cycle for the next target. Prevents the bangpullbang issue.

Eric

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do the rules say unobstructed view of the shooter? I think it would be better if it said target. HMB

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Don't shoot at the Dollar as they all use lawn chairs or golf carts to seat their scorers on all fields.

Really they don't have problem so why should anyone else.

Don

17. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Bernie I firmly agree with you!!! When I pay big buck to shoot registered targets, I expect the score keepers full attention and expect them to sit where they can see whats going on and call lost birds and scores in a loud clear voice.

Last year at the NYS shoot JoAnn had a score keeper removed for stopping our squad to talk to someone,2 times!

At the Zippo shoot I complained of score keepers fiddleing with cell phones and Ipods and was blown off as well as food service problems, I wont retun there to shoot.

ATA is haveing a hard enough time keeping shooters well keep the 1s you have happy. I am haveing a hard time finding the whole point of shooting registered any how other then a reason to go see friends we dont see often. I figure I skip 2 or 3 shoots I can get a SHAMROCK LEATHER BAG with anything I want on it.

My thoughts

Jerry Lewis

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If I was scoring, I would need a boost too, which would be awkward at best as my tushy is very sensitive to foreign hands,,..a charactor flaw I'm not proud of ; P

19. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The scorer's chair must be elevated to secure an unobstructed view. I won't shoot with a scorer in a low lawn chair period.
    Clyde

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Marty, HMB, interesting it does say shooters....

Apparently the writers assumed the obvious, the need to see PAST and AROUND the shooters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

scores chair skeet

trap referee chair