1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scorekeeper Mis called a Target ????????????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WarEagle2017, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Hypothetical situation ::: I am shooting on post #3 and in My opinion I have hit all 5 targets although the trapper ( score keeper ) called a lose on the 3rd target,,,,,, what should or what am I allowed to do ????

1: Say nothing ( Because some here in Pa. told Me that I am not allowed to call My own Targets ).

2: Bring it to the attention of the squad to see if anyone else seen My Hit or even chip the target in Question. This would be done before I leave that particular post. And if others agree it is a Dead target.

3: What if I know that I hit all 5 targets and I did not hear the trapper call a loss on one of the targets and only realised His mistake after all 5 shots were fired and He called Me a 4 as We were moving to the next post.

Opinions wanted, I did read the rule book and it states that it is the contestants responsibility to bring an error to the attention of the trapper and squad before leaving the paticular post or if on the last post before He leaves the Trap.

I was told here in Pa that a contestant is NOT ALLOWED TO CALL HIS ONW TARGET.
    I think this is bull.

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

scorers can make mistakes. do not hesitate t call him/her on it, but remember that their decision is final (quiet often their decision can be changed if there are one or two others that can back you up as to whether the target was broken or not).

Bob

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If I hear "loss" after I've shot and I believe it's a dead target. I stop the shooting right then and there. I ask "did anybody on the squad see a piece off that target?" If nobody responses, there is nothing that can be done and shooting resumes. I've had targets incinerated that are called loss and usually at least one of the other 4 shooters is watching and calls out dead target. When it is a small chip, you just hope somebody else on the squad saw it and if not it is a loss.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You can't call your own target. You need support from your squad mates or call stands and scorer has the last say no matter what your squad says. If it happens to you once then I bet you start listening better to yours and others calls.

Don

5. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

A good Squad Lead should be watching targets to assist with just that issue. Support from squad mates helps too. Age and experience of the scorer is a wildcard though.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

After the squad finishes shooting, you can have management review the video replay of your squad. Then and only then can an informed decision be made. HMB

7. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I usually say something like.................NOT AGAIN. LOL

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

And contrary to popular belief, the squad leader has no responsibility and no more say in the matter than anyone else.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

tim99, you are absolutely right on this - too many think otherwise.y By the way, there is a lot of snow and 7 degrees here. Hope it is better over there... Best Regards, Ed

10. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Are scorers' errors equally balanced over their lifetime ?

That is, do they make just as many errors calling "lost" as they do recording "breaks" ?

Are the errors randomly assigned to shooters or do they favor particular shooters ?

I just shoot practice rounds at the local trap range so the breaks and losses are just for my own enjoyment, but I figure I get more in my favor than I deserve.

11. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

I have instructed my Jr shooters to watch each others birds for just this problem. Michigan Trapshooters Assn uses any live body the can get to score,and problems always arise. They won't move off their post until errors are corrected. I called dead bird on a scorer New years day-for another shooter-and he changed the score.PerryM ATA coach.

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Try to shoot with people you know and trust. I try to always watch the target on my left and right as a minimum. If everyone on the squad does that, then there are always 3 or 4 pairs of eyes watching YOUR target. Larry Evans

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

As I've witnessed,here in Pa.,,as long as a member of your squad agrees with you at the time of the questioned target,it's ok to ask. Asking doesn't hurt.After changing posts,never seen anything said yet..Course,I'm new,andd it's only been a year shooting,have witnessed the dust targets that didn't break,still lost.Funniest one was one that actually looked like the wad broke the target,it still counted.

Doug H.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have had a shooter shot at a target and dust it. The scorer calls lost and before it hit the ground break in half. That happened twice during a 200 target event. Because I saw it and called it out he got the score.

I have called a dead target and had others back me up. If no one says they saw anything then I or the shooter has a lost target.

Speak up and be nice. If no one backs you up then be quiet and be nice. If you don't you will do more harm then good to yourself as a shooter.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You can say that you believe the loss call was wrong but it is up to the other poeple on the squad to verify it. The important thing is to be polite and not make a big scene.

Remember the score keeper is human too - we all make mistakes. Best bet is to absolutely smoke every target so there is no doubt:)

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

You can call your own altho' in some circles it isn't considered gentleman'ly. Like........"just suck it up & keep a stiff upper lip"? That said, if the error was obvious I won't hesitate to call it for myself but my squadmates usually beat me to it. Either way it is the scorers decision in the end.

John C. Saubak

17. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Well having been a scorekeeper ( & shooter) for 40+ years I have made my share of calls that were disputed, when that happens I ask if anyone else saw a piece if someone did I will change the score (& write dead with a RED pencil) in that box, if not then it stays lost. VERY SELDOM any grumbling. Have actually had a couple of guys say they missed a target that I had scored dead (VERY RARE) so I changed that for them too. I'm just as human as anybody else & can make mistakes just as easily too. Sometimes from my angle & distance I don't see a piece that someone else did see from their angle. just my thoughts.--Ross Puls

18. RDM

RDM TS Member

I agree with hitapair.

Correct it when it happens, not after you finish shooting your five on that post.

19. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

By the same token, if you missed or think you did and it's not called, you need to speak up and have it marked lost if you feel it's right. Don't take a target you didn't break, it's never OK. Harv

20. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

well in missouri at the 2010 state shoot i desenagrated a target and the scorer called lost when i turned and looked at the scorer she looked at me and a team mate said he crushed that target and she corrected it no problem she just got confused because the next guy to me pulled real quick and missed his bird so with rain and everything she called what she seen a missed target which was his, but everything turned out good,no fuss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.