1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Score keeper to yell "Ready" or to not.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by C-Money, Aug 5, 2013.

1. C-Money

C-Money Member

As a kid in Pennsylvania, it was customary for the score keeper to yell "Ready" after the squad leader shot his 5th target on the first four posts, and "out" on post five. This does not happen out west, and I am curious why. As a youngster, I scored like this as it was normal to me, but sure got some evil looks from shooters. I soon realized this was not something to do when scoring, at least in WA. To me, it kinda makes sense to have the scorer yell "ready". What are your thoughts?

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Score keeper to yell

I have heard "Change" used. I use "Move", but it's after the last squad member, not the squad leader. Mark

3. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Score keeper to yell

A great reason not to squad on post 2.

4. running bear

running bear Member

Score keeper to yell

No,

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Score keeper to yell

As you said, it is common in the Northeast at least. The reason it is not accepted everywhere is the fact that many times you find the scorer is just a little slow on the call and it absolutely can interfere with the next shooter, as tandra 1 indicates.

I'm sure many think it is a good idea, but to me the risk of calling "READY" just as shooter #2 is calling, or about to call for a target outweighs any benefit of the practice. It isn't that hard to keep track of your shots.

6. C-Money

C-Money Member

Score keeper to yell

I agree with your reply 870, its hard enough to get the scores read promptly. I brought this up, cause I watched a few shooters fail to realize it was time to change at a shoot this weekend. Figured this may help, but the negatives may out number the positives regarding this practice. I leave my shells in the box and keep track that way.

7. Mario in QT

Mario in QT TS Member

Score keeper to yell

Around these parts of PA scorer still yells "end" after the squad leader has shot his 5th target on the first four posts, and "out" on post five. "All move" is also used at the end of each post.

It helps beginner and intermediate shooters get acclimated to Trap shooting and helps maintain squad rhythm.

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Score keeper to yell

I have shot in Minnesota and North Dakota and all over the Northwest and it is definitely Not used anywhere here. I would find it very distracting. Dead/Lost and All Change or Rotate after the last shooter and then call out the scores is all I have heard.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Score keeper to yell

A good ref is smart enough to call ready when the lead shooter breaks or misses the target. "lost - ready" is commonly used here.

It's not real hard to figure out.

HM

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Score keeper to yell

Your correct halfmile, the problem is not all scorers are equal. IMO, it simply is more of a habit around here, but the negatives outweigh the positives.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Score keeper to yell

A simple game, shoot five shots then move to the next station. Why the need for a traffic director when everyone is wearing hearing protection and maybe muffs too??

HAP

12. The Stive

The Stive Member

Score keeper to yell

No!! John

13. kenf

kenf Active Member

Score keeper to yell

I scored the same way as a kid here in PA (late 80's/early 90's). You would catch grief from some guys if you forgot to call ready/change. Some squad leaders would request that you only call loss from time to time.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Score keeper to yell

I have pulled many to, to many rounds and will always ask the sqaud if they want me to call the ready's, eliminates the problem ... Does not matter to me one way or the other ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. powderburn

powderburn Member

Score keeper to yell

I like "readies" and was trained this way as well. And, yes, you have to be quick on it if the squad leader misses his 5 bird out on a post. If there is a delay, it can be distracting so that's why it has to happen eeeeemediately. It helps keep the scorer more alert too. Just my .02

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Score keeper to yell

Upper midwest Iowa-- Illinois-- READY is very common almost everywhere shooters are concentrating on the target-s not counting shells. When I moved to Ga. in 86 I got some mighty strange looks until the explanation was given, I have learned to keep my mouth shut unless the squad leader asks me to call the ready. Now I'm like C-money I bought a box holder. It's still sort of funny when after the last shot is fired at that post & I say dead-(or lost) unload and change please and 2 or 3 shooters have to unload before they change. We always figured that was the reason we paid scorekeepers,--- to keep track of things. Ross Puls

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Score keeper to yell

5th man, after 1st shot post 5: "Dead or Lost & out." Optional in S. Florida.

Eric

18. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Score keeper to yell

To me it makes more sense to call (Dead/Lost)and Change when the 5th shooter has fired his 5th shot. On the 5th shooter's last post last shot (Dead/Lost) and Out.

Jason

19. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Score keeper to yell

When I was a puller in SoCal during the fifties the squad leader would ask squad ready? puller? ready?, lets see a target and then ask does everybody like them? if no reply then the leader called for his first target. At each post change the puller called dead/lost and change reading the scores after this anouncement. The last post was dead/lost and out then read the scores. Some where some how these puller/scorer instructions got lost at most shoots I've in recent years.

Surfer

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Score keeper to yell

The reason the Ready's are called is so that the shooters do not reload after shooting their shot, after the 5th shooter shoots, the puller (scorekeeper ) should call out move ... I have seen and called shooters on walking with a loaded gun from one post to another because a move was called and they had already reloaded ... WPT ... (YAC) ...