1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Score 2 for the 9yr and the .410!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shooter66, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

Well the boy wore the new off the .410 at @ 9:05 this morning with his first ever Pheasant (Cockbird)! He followed that up with a Hen about 30 minutes later. Both Flying shots (under 25yds each shot)! We used 3" 4 shot and I put a fiber optic sight on it to help him out...It was a perfect day for a .410 hunt....6-8 inches of snow and cold so they held tight. We just took our time and went slow...finding tracks and cutting them off! In fact we heard the cockbird he got scook and we headed that way.

Dad (me) ended up with his 2 as well so we were done by 10:15. We seen 8 birds in total.

I cant wait to get him out to shoot some clays. He really has a knack for this stuff. He shoots his bow as well as most adults from 30 and in.

[​IMG]

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Very cool. He looks pretty happy, & rightly so.

-Gary

3. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Wow, That's a Great photo (and what a memory)!

4. JRW

JRW Member

Great shooting!! He is hooked. Jerry

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

shooter66, Iam very happy for you and especially so for the memory that the day will give you forever :)

Iam so glad that you didn't listen to the neysayers about the use of the 410 which could have possibly not given this memory to you...

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My father grew up with a Stevens bolt action 410 shotgun, choked full. He was very good with it. He and my grandfather hunted pheasants in North Dakota, mainly around the Bismarck area. That 410 put a lot of food on the table. I have the gun now. Need to put a replacement bead on it.

I love Oregon for its scenic beauty and large amount of public lands to hunt on, but the pheasant hunting here pales in comparison to the midwest. Almost all pheasant hunting is released game farm birds on public or private land, and the use of dogs is almost mandatory for any kind of consistent success.

But I digress. Cherish this time and take lots of photos. And enjoy those pheasants!

7. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

I have to tell you the proudest I was all day wasnt him making the shots (not to say that they werent proud moments)....it was as were going from one field to the next we stopped to talk to some other hunters and one of them was asking about his gun as he has a daughter about that age and size and asked if he could see it. Without any direction he broke the gun open removed the shell and handed the guy the gun breach open and breach facing the guy. Seeing him practice that kind of saftey and respect for a firearm at his age is awseome and I commended him for it on the way home.

Pheasantmaster....those 4's ate them birds up. I think 5's would be perfect, but tough to find.

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

shooter66, I will look for you on those 5's.

Where are you folks from?

9. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

Northern Illinois. Bolingbrook to be exact (west of Chitown about 30 miles). We hunted south of the house today in Kankakee County.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Shooter66, bingo, it made me proud when after hunting with a friend over dogs, Sean, then 12 (he's 20 now) was told his safe gun handling was exemplary, and he was invited to go hunting anytime he wanted. That made me prouder than hitting the pheasant.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Is it legal to shoot hen pheasants in Illinois?

Also, you said both were flying shots. Is it legal to shoot them on the ground?

12. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

Yes...and yes.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

WTG young man and Dad too!! Memories of that day will last him a lifetime!! You have every right to be proud of your son's abilities and his safe gun handling too! Your both hooked together as huntin buddies from now on!!

Hap

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Score 2 for the 9yr and the .410!!!

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for you and your son.. What I would not have given to have a son I could pass my passion of shooting on too..You're a very lucky man...and your son is lucky to have a father that shares his knowledge and love of the outdoors with him... Happy New Year.. Mike

15. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Now this is what keeps me coming back to this forum. Congratulations to the young man. That smile on his face is worth a million. Your a great father shooter66. I wish that this country had many millions like you and your son.

16. Almcvey

Almcvey Member

NO
    It's not legal to shoot a wild Hen in Illinois. You can shoot a hen at a preserve or on state managed put and take public hunting ground. They have a limited amount of hunters and release pen raised birds on public hunting area.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Best of all we all appreciate you sharing the experience and photo with us..its like we were there with you,...warms my heart to see the seeds being sown to grow a new little sportman and hopefully trapshooter too,..he is our future

18. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

Almcvey is correct...I should have stated we were hunting Kankakee State Park which is a "Controlled Hunt Area" and has different regs then do the Private lands. I do not hunt Private land so when I talk Pheasant huntinng I tend to talk Controlled style of hunts....my fault for not clairifying that on the previous response.

I placed a link to the regs for Kankakee in the the URL link above.

Its tough to find private land this close to Chicago its all bought/leased up.

Scott

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Take good care of the D'max too. In 7-8 years, he'll find that truck way cool and want it to drive to high school.

20. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

Well.....he crushed another one today...make it 3 for 3 this week for the boy. I have created a monster.

Anyone got a cheap MEC 600 20ga press?? I got a feeling Im going to be loading down some 1oz rounds for him to come shoot on thursdays and sundays real soon.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.