1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

scope?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

put a scope on my AR.is there a easy way to sight it in? i read or someone told me to sight it in at 25yds or 25 ft?and that would get me close at 100yds.?any help would be appreciated.thank you

tracy

2. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

If you sight in at 25 feet you will be really high at 100 yards. The offset between the bore and scope on an AR is roughly 3 inches. If you sight in at 25 feet, I would expect you to be 2 1/2 or 3 feet high at 100 yards.

One way to sight in a AR is to take the upper off and remove the bolt. Now place the upper on a steady rest of some type. Find something to aim at 100 yards, maybe a pie plate. Now look down the bore and adjust the upper until the target is centered in the bore. Now adjust the scope until the crosshairs are on the target, keeping the target centered in the bore as well. You can use the same technique with a bolt gun with the bolt removed. I can usually get within 3" or 4" at 100 yards without firing a shot.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Have it boresighted.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Boresight, then shoot at 25 yards, fine tune at 100. the point of impact at 25 yards is very close to the 100 yard POI for most calibers.

HM

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Forget boresighting(unless you are using a bolt gun),and place a target a 25 yds..........take a couple of shots,and adjust your scope to hit dead center(Remember this....if your scope is a 1/4" per click at 100 you'll have to use 4 clicks at 25 yds to move your shot group 1/4" at 25 yds).Your shots should be approximately 1" high at 50yds,and 2" high at 100.
    Make minor adjustments(right,left ect.)at 100 until you have it where you want it,and you'll be good to go with very few shots expended.

D.P.Reynolds

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put up a target at close range. Shoot a few shots to see where it is hitting. Adjust the windage first, that's the left, right point of impact. When it is hitting the center line you can the adjust the elevation. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.