1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scope Sight In Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FalconSprint, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Suppose you have a rifle scope that has 4 sets of crosshairs, for 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards. Now you use your top set of crosshairs and zero perfectly at 100 yards. Now suppose your bullet drop is appx. 20 inches at 400 yards, but you have no place to shoot 400 yards to check it. "IF" you held the bottom set of crosshairs on the bullseye, and shot at a target 100 yards away, would the bullet impact appx. 20" high?

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I hope not! You need a better cast with a new lure. LOL, Bob

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Probably not Bullets drop at a greater rate as distance increases. There are some drop tables that will give you pretty good info but at the minute my little pea brain can't name one. I have bought program from rcbs that is good and even some reloading manuals will give some good indicators.
    The only way to know for SURE is to shoot it at diatance but you already knew that.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

how close was POI at 200 and 300 yds?

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

No you would be something like 5" high at 100. But you have to shoot the actual distances to know for sure. Beyond the trajectory problem making a 400 yard shot requires quite a bit of shooting skill. Practice, practice, practice.

I use ground squirrels for my training assistants.

6. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Many years ago at Camp Perry there was a 50 meter range for rifles that had been repaired or needed to be sighted in. This, of course was with iron sights, but would still apply with a scope.

There was a small sighting bull with a vertical line having marks where a 200, 300 or 600 service rifle bullet would hit. It worked pretty well and the 600yd impact would certainly get you on the target if not in the black.

Fortunately, I only had to use it once, but one of my team mates, Col. Harry Crowly got an "award" for perfect attendance at the 50 me3ter range.

Hank Cross

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

check the manufacturer's tables for drop vs. distance for the load you are using. Most can provide you with zeroes from 100 to 400, for example, if you are zeroed in (want to be) at 400, see what the table says you should be at 100. Adjust for the proper height at 100 for the 400 zero and you just might be somewhat close at 400.

Now, sit back and think. Do I really have the skill and ability to take that 400 yard shot based on my own logic that I have sighted in at 100 (never mind that you didn't factor in any windage problems) and will possibly or actually probably wound my quarry.

You better buy a good rangefinder, shoot a lot, and then ask the above question again.

Too darn many manufacturers are leading a lot of novices into taking shots way past their ability.

8. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I can't leave this one alone--I shoot Shiloah Sharps guns and the 45/110 I play with has a trajectory of 166 FEET at 1000 yards. We shoot in plowed bean fiels where we know the backgrounds and they are a hoot to shoot. I had a 900yard range at my house and there was a hedge of trees about half way down. One of my friends asked how I would shoot through the trees and could not believe the bullit actually was going over them on the way to the target!
    I must add that I would not take a deer size shot much over 150yards and even then rely on a good rest and a range finder.

9. Copper46

Copper46 Member

In the manual it says that you need to verify bullet placement. All scopes shoot different.If it was easy everybody could do it.

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You need to know the maximum point blank range for the round you are shooting (I've attached a link to one site which discusses it - there are more).

Do some reading and you will learn what you need to know.

11. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

To get an answer that is even close, you ( or We ) have to know what cal. and what bullet weight etc. Now here are the results form using s 30-06 W/ 150 Gr. Bullet Look at the chart below the pis and it will tell you where your shot will impact the target at different yardages
    <a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=Testrifle.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.