1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scope recommendations for new DPMS .223

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Joe O, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe O

Joe O Member

0   0   0

Got my new rifle here, Panther .223 w/24" bull barrel and JP adj trigger, now I'm looking for a scope. I want one for Prairie dogs and other all-around shooting. Just looking for ideas, I'm not much of a rifle guy and I could use help narrowing my search.
    Joe O

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

0   0   0

I got a panther last year, does yours have a carry handle?

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

24 in. bull bbl. probably wouldn't come with a carry-handle. You'd better just plan on going shopping and look at some different brands, styles and quality. They are numerous.

I shoot a panther AP-4, with a short 7X32 w/sniper reticle for calling coyotes. Sounds like your application is going to be totally different.

Good luck
    Steve E.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Don't be afraid to spend money - lots of money.

Seriously, you should be willing to spend as much or more on the scope as you do on a rifle. With the quality of barrels and rifle making today the scope becomes the 'weakest link' and as such some forethought will save you a lot of hassles (I include mounts in this too).

For the AR platform the more typical scope is really an aiming reticle that may have 2X ~ 4X magnification (http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=3). I am assuming you are talking more about a hunting style scope...

A BIG question is do you want variable power (most typical today), or fixed power (by definition - better optics). To make a scope variable in power you must give up some optical quality - how often do you change the scopes power once it is 'dialed in?' This will also impact price (fixed power will cost less).

Zeiss is the best - period. But they are rather costly, followed on by the other European scopes (Swarovski, Kahles, etc.). I have had great luck with a Trijicon hunting scope. In the USA Leupold tends to be the standard, but I hear very positive and very negative reports. Nikon has had ups and downs in their product lines - I hear they are on an up-swing right now, but I lack personal knowledge on this one. Burris is on the 're-bound' right now - as I understand they were bought and are being up-graded - again, I have no knowledge.

I would stay away from store brands or the Wally World sporting goods models - you get what you pay for...

5. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I've got a Leupold VX-3 on mine and I like it a ton. 4-14 power adjustable.

It is a good scope. Maybe not as good as a Zeiss or Swarovski but not priced like one either.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Nightforce 8X32 BenchRest in a set of Badger Rings. Might as well have optics that cost as much as the rifle. ;-)

http://www.longrangesupply.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_29&zenid=01f5347c71fb808a0aedb9cfaa9b8bb0

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

The new Sightron 10x50. About $950.

8. Diamond 101

Diamond 101 TS Member

0   0   0

I"ll second the Trijicon they are a great scope. For about $600 you can own a 3x9.

Chad

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

Who makes a good mount for a carry handle?

10. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

0   0   0

This Burris Eliminator Laserscope looks interesting.

11. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

0   0   0

I bet that is a spendy thing.

12. oz

oz Active Member

0   0   0

try opticsplanet.com also look at IOR Valdada

13. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

4.4x14 power luepold minimum. You will be shooting dogs from 100 yards to 600 yards plus. Figure 250 to 350 shots per day. Dogs are only the size of a pop can so scope power is important.

14. bsenger

bsenger TS Member

0   0   0

I have remington VTR r-15 and have bushnell 4-12 laser rangefinder on it with the turrets it works great for coyote,prairie dogs. 800-1000.00

15. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

CANT beat the nikon. Why pay 3 to 7 hundred bucks more for zeiss, kahles or swarvorski that will only have about 5/7% more light gathering? Has the same warranty also.
    Chris

16. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

0   0   0

Look at greybullprecision.com they have designed a scope backed by leupold that is amazing. I am having another custom rifle built just for this scope

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Burris Eliminator!!! $850.00 One hell of a scope gotta get one for my .308. I'll put the NIKON on the DPMS ar15. Bulge.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

look at www.SWFA.com ,..they have some fantastic deals on demo units, trade ins ..etc. Tell them Cal from Plano sent you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best scopes for dpms 223

looking for a scope to go on a dpms panther 223

looking for scope dpms