1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scope Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by InsureGuy, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Good Morning,

I recently purchased an LAR-8 which is Rock Rivers AR15 style rifle in a .308. The question is since this weapon can be shot accurately for 600+ yards, what would be a good scope to capitolize on the accuracy of this rifle. I know that a good scope can cost a bit, but if I can keep it between 300-500 that would be fine. Your advice ??

Jason

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Bill is right - be willing to spend equal or more on the scope as you did on the rifle.

Relative to quality two things to look for are 30mm tubes (standard in USA is 1", but bigger is better, especially in variable power scopes). You also want as large an objective as the rifle/mounts will manage - more light in, better picture and works in lower light conditions.

Trijicon makes a series of rifle scopes (http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=AccuPoint) that might fill the bill - a 2.5 ~ 10 X 56 (will be more than $500)

I think Zeiss came out with a fixed power 8 X 50 that is one inch, but with fixed power that should be OK too.

3. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Leupold Mark AR 4-12x40

These scopes come with 5.56 BDC elevation dials but other calibers are available.

Made in USA.

Michael Goines

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Just went thru the same thing. Go to Optics Planet.com for the details of whats available. I chose a Nikon 6 x 18 with the BDC recticle for my AR 223.
    You'll probably need a cantilever base too for eye relief.

Nikon, Burris, Leupold...all good.

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Leuopold,zeiss, sawrovski, leica, are amoung the reliable choices but they cost.

6. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Night Force, Cost plenty but will last for ever and clarity second to none.

Luepold next the MK 4 Are good.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You can get some of the Leupold VXIII scopes for around $500 and really they are excellent quality. As for the magnification range, that really depends on the primary use of the rifle. If you want a good field set up, a 3.5x10x40mm objective VXIII model would be great and is in your price range at about $480.

8. twotimer

twotimer Member

Jason, the Mk 4 scope is awesome for long distance shooting. The Military has contracted them for snipers. Down side, you could buy a couple more guns for what they cost. Mike

9. high 2

high 2 Member

If you want to go really cheap, try a Simmons 44mag. They are cheap, have decent glass and hold zero very well. I've had one on a 300 win mag for 10 years that has work flawlessly. You can't go wrong with Leupold or Night Force or any of German glass. Let us know how the lar shoots. Larry

10. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

What Setterman says, Optics Planet.com gives great deals. I have saved a lot of money through them.

CM

11. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I agree with 4EVERYOUNG, the best optic on the market is Nightforce. Yes, they are expensive, but worth EVERY penny. The Leupold Mark 4's are a good alternative, BUT, they run $1300 and up. Nightforce starts at about $1800

Oscar

12. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Trijicon for the money you cant to spend. Schmidt and Bender are the best IMHO but NighForce and Swarovski are nice for the money

13. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

For the money you want to spend I would look at a Bushnell Elite 6500 model some thing around a 16 power. Do remember your rifle only as good as the scope you put on it. I am a long range shooter/ trap shooter and all my long range rifles have scope on them that cost more tham the rifle did.

Oh by the way if you put a good scope on that 308 you can push that bullet out to a 1000yds.

I have won a lot of awards shooting long range...... in 2008 I won the VHA longest shot of the year award for 2,322yds.

Good luck and happy shooting buddy!

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I fully agree with Gun FItter. The scopes that he listed are top of the line scopes. I will have to add that if you do buy a Leupold get he XV-III grade scope. It does better when light is low. Stay away fromt the Leupold Rifleman scope. The Leupold M3 and M4 are great scopes and will serve you well.

So will the other scopes he listed but they will cost more. I have one Zeiss and its a great scope. I have not yet to have the money to buy the other two scopes. I will in time.

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

For that price I'd look at Nikon or Konus. Good bang for the buck.

16. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Thanks to all who replied. It looks as if optics world will get the business. Toss up between the VR III and the Nikon Monarch. The night force would have been nice, but outside the budget. I love this sit for all the experience it offers. Thanks Gentlemen.

Jason

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Before you commit check out Cameraland NY, good prices. Also look at Vortex for good bang for the buck. (the high end ones)

I think if you use the code "forum" some discounts are available.

HM

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

you want a scope that will shoot 1/3 of a mile for $500 or less? i'm thinking $1500 or more. good luck with it

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I've never seen a scope shoot.

20. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

grntitan your right a scope dosen't shoot but a good scope will sure help your rifle to shoot well.

InsureGuy

I have a $1800.00 dollar Night Force on my varmint rifle and that's one of my cheaper scopes.

Savage LRPV 204 with a 12x42x56mm NightForce setting on top of it.. hogs taken in the picture right around 500yds. Area farmers just love to have me shoot groundhogs for them.... I never have to leave the barn yard to shoot.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.