1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scope problem - Need help from ts.com brain trust

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A lens shade on a Leupold got smacked, and it jumped a thread on one side and is stuck fast. Absolutely will not budge.<br>
    <br>
    Short of sending it to Leupold, any suggestions?

2. Brian in Oregon

Might be possible to cut the shade off close to the scope, then slit it and try to collapse it.<br>
    <br>
    Hate to ruin a shade, especially since this is an older scope. I'm not sure the new shades will fit it.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A little heat from a heat gun carefully applied to the shade only. Worked on a similar problem I had a few years ago. You might wrap a wet rag around the actual scope tube and be sure to heat only the shade. A strap wrench (leather or rubber) might help pursuade it. Just don't overdo it and be sure to pad everything that could scratch the tube. A small oil filter wrench might do in a pinch as well, as long as you pad it well.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you'd like, Brian, I can give you email and telephone contact information for someone at Leupold who can tell you how they would remove it. If you find you need it, send me an email (drop the "x" first). This person would also be able to tell you if a shade for a pre-2004 scope is still available.

Ed

5. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

just a thought would a strap type jar lid opener work and it shouldn't leave marks.

thanks
    lee

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I agree with Fred! The threads are out of sync now, if you unscrew it, you'll damage even more threads!

Shop rates, XX,, if you tried to fix it first, it's XXXX! Hap

7. Brian in Oregon

If I have the time, I'll mill slots in the shade, the collapse it.<br>
    <br>
    If not, I may just send it or drop it off at Leupold. I need to get back to sheetrocking the kitchen, and on top of that I've been up all night at my mom's/ Shortly after I posted my stepfather passed away. I'm a bit too tired right now to do delicate machining.<br>
    <br>
    I've been wanting to have Leupold add a target knob and a bullet drop dial customized for 223 for this scope anyway.

8. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Brian,

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your famly.

lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.