1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scoop on storage locker auctions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Sep 21, 2013.

1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Do any of you actually go to storage locker auctions and bid?

My kid and I have been catching up on all the "Storage War$" shows. Besides learning the best way to watch is to record and skip the intro, commercials and trailers, we've looked on line for auctions in our home town and have only found auction referral services you have to be registered for. What's with that? What's the best way to find one in our area and is the show true to life?

Joe

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Umm, you know "reality" TV is really scripted, right?

3. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

You don't really think that it works like you see on TV do you?

4. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Yeeeuuuppp !!!!

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It used to be good around here, sometimes there were good things in the units. But since the program it's futile to even think about going to the auctions.

If it's in the middle of the week maybe there would be fewer fools around but I still don't see it being worth my time.

I prefer estate sales for guy stuff like tools, lawn mowers, etc.

HM

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

A friend in Bay county MI does that for a living. He keeps in touch with the owners of several storage facilities and bids on the units when they come up. Bill

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Bill - Your friend must have a second hand shop to sell out of or an internet site. Noticed that several of the main characters have internet sites - Darrel and Dave. We like the show for the surprises in the units and the values reported. The personality stuff grows tiresome.

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

He has a booth at local flea markets and does the Craigslist thing. Bill

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Do a little research. The shows have been accused and even exposed of placing many of the unique and valuable items in the units to make the show interesting.

Just Say'n........

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The storage units in those shows are seeded with interesting/valuable items to make the show worth watching. Nobody would watch if they found broken VCRs and used mattresses all the time.

A buddy of mine told me about his friend who was doing storage unit auctions (as the owner of the facility). He would go in an cherry pick the good items, then reload the units with junk (including bags of trash) to make them look full. Then it was the winners responsibility to dispose of the contents of the units, trash or treasure.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Several years ago, well before the 'Storage Wars' show, I stopped by an auction for the estate of some guy. I won the bid on a small unit for something like $50 and ended up finding a couple of kegs of Herco and other misc reloading supplies and a full case of .38 special wadcutter ammo (factory WW). Pretty easy to see how you could get hooked on the auction thing.

As to your question Joe, stop in at several of your local storage facilities and let them know you are interested in attending any auctions they may have and leave them your info. If there are any special requirements that they have for you to be a bidder they should be able to tell you what is required. I have a buddy that owns a storage facility and he has those kinds of sales several times per year, he told me that a notice has to be placed in the local paper at least two weeks in advance and the bidding is open to the general public.