1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scoop on line free bifocals?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Optitian says line free bifocals have a distance viewing area in the shape of an hour glass. Inside is for distance; outside is for reading. Appearantly you read by looking through the middle of the lense from left to right and skip over the thin distance viewing area in the middle. Doesn't sound good for shooting.

Anybody tried them?

2. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Yes -- and they are the only way to go -- however, there are two kinds of no-line bifocals and you need the kind designed for "active people" or you will keep seeing that "mess" in the middle and not like them to shoot with. I ususally have avery hard time getting them to send me the ones designed for active people and have to send them back a couple of times to get it right. The regular kind will seem blurry when you move your eyes fast. the beav

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I assume you're talking about progressives, because I read that there was a no line bifocal that wasn't progressive, but it isn't being made anymore. I shot a few rounds with my progressive everyday glasses and they seem to work just fine. Because my close-in correction is 250 the reading area is very small and that has been a problem. However the distance portion seem to be pretty big - almost the entire top half of the lens. For shooting I use a Sved prescription insert with a bifocal. I'd like to go to a progressive next time, but I don't know what the difference is between the regular lens and the "active."

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

They are OK for people who need only minimal to moderate correction. Once the correction gets above about 2.5, the distortion in the lens becomes objectionable unless the lens can be larger than, say 55 mm.

Carol Lister

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

has a tendancy to distort peripheral vision in the higher magnifications....
    also, not really necessary for shooting glasses...

You can also now get the safety wrap around glasses with the small reader lense which work well but are not available in a large amount of colors...

JC

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I shoot with contacts so my shooting glasses have bifocals for close up. Decot only makes them in lined and I don't like them nearly as well as my Randolphs, which are progressive. I find the progressive much easier on my eyes and don't interfere with the plano upper part of the lens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.