1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

School trap shooting in Neb. UP 50%..why?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I am involved with two progams that I have first hand knowledge and after signups we could see the participation. One from 42 to 66 kids, other from 65 to 98. This is GREAT! BUT, I have to really ask myself....."why?" Not looking a gift horse down here but I really am wondering. Can you imagine if this goes state wide? It will be a real eye opener.

If we see this state wide it will be some growing pains for sure. Why do you think such a influx of kids??? Has the gun scare panic parents had overflow into the school trap shooting programs??

2. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I been say along time that schools in other states should start shooting programs as such. Also should conservation clubs. I believe if they advertised in local papers and radio that would produce many young people. Problem is younf people are hardly invited directly. Usually by word of mouth.

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I know here in SE Wisconsin it is growing like crazy. Most of them are in the schools, but have club youth teams included in the Division, so to speak. I don't know if they are yet a part of the scholastic WIAA programs, but imagine that is not far off. I know they have a State Shoot. Like you say teams with 60 - 65 members, and growing. IMO, now would be the time to start promoting, along with straightening out the dissension of the ATA, along with the WTA. Plenty of potential coming up.

4. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

In Minnesota we are seeing the same situation. 4 years ago there were a handful of schools involved. This year there will be over 100 with 3000 kids shooting leagues and possibly 1500 at the High School Championship in June.

At the Minneapolis Gun Club we will have 16 schools shooting their leagues there, about 640 kids at this club alone. What some of the schools are finding out is the clubs have run out of daylight to be able to handle all the interest. We went before a township and a county board to amend our conditional use permit to be able to be open on Monday's just for the high schools to shoot. Without that action it would have put the squeeze on our summer league participants that have been shooting there for 40 years.

It is so rewarding to have all the young people, the coaches, volunteers and parents there and watch them get better each week.

Thanks to everyone who is involved in the endeavor, no matter which state, to keep this wonderful sport alive. These kids are the future of Trapshooting and our pro-gun voters when they get older.

Jim W

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with the gun scare.

The state has a youth program that feeds itself. Just take a look at last years youth shoot attendance records and the acceptance of school shooting teams within the state.

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Nebraska has had a long established program and typically has experienced a 10% growth state wide. I know my #'s are only from two schools (or as Neal would say N2) But at this rate it will be a huge increase even if other schools only see 1/2 of this.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The participation is up because the kids are having fun shooting and a bunch of people have done a good job making the program work for the parents that have to foot the bill.

Something to be proud of Nebraska.

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'm a graduate of the nebraska program...Lincoln Southeast High School, class of '84.

we had a trap club with 10 kids at the time. Won the singles title with a 454 - and we WALKED off with it, beat the next closest team by something like 13 birds.

Last year, I think it was, I saw the winning squad shot something like 990.

Lotta changes there....nice to see it still going.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Because some clubs and a lot of adults are supporting the program with money and most importantly with their time.

In Iowa we have the same thing.

Of course 50 percent of a small number to begin with in and of itself may or may not be predictive but if we can keep this going we have built a culture or a group of the culture that truly understands shooting sports.

We often have hundreds of parents now line up on the sidewalk like they are at a soccer game watching their kid(s) shoot-- another big plus

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

The football team went in the toilet, now shooting is taking up the slack.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Thats funny Kevin

12. tachyon

tachyon Member

himark, I will make it n3 as here at Marian we have gone from 25 girls last year to more than 40 girls this year. Prep is also up a bunch. The state meet could be interesting. Last year we topped 2,000, maybe 2,200 this year?

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Same here in Southern Illinois. Almost every surrounding school has a trap team. Some teams have as many as 10 squads. Just across the river in Missouri, same story. Lots of teams. So great to see so many young people being exposed to the outdoors and shooting sports. They are our future.

14. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Like Gene said its going good here in Iowa also. There are some dedicated men, women and parents all over the US that's making a difference.....Good for them and the kids also!!

15. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

We went from 23 kids last year to 33 this year. We were surprised at the turnout at our informational meeting in December and actually gained a couple extra.

The achery program I am involved with has seen a huge growth also. We have 80 kids in 4 sessions and a huge waiting list.

16. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I think that the powers to be saw all the great youth programs in the mid-west & decided that the future of trapshooting was there.

17. CROY1990

CROY1990 Active Member

At this years Indiana State shoot the AIM program was up about 22% over the previous year.

18. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Last year we had 4 jr.shooters at our club this year we have 16,not sure why the sudden rise but it is great ;o)Jerry

19. himark

himark Well-Known Member

tachyon, you seen same results as us....WOW. I would say the state shoot will be more than 2200 at this pace. It looks like you other schools are seeing some higher than normal increases also.

Now if we could just get the ATA to see how this works:)

20. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Let's give a little credit to the Potterfields who have donated millions to the Scholastic Shooting Trust through the Midway Foundation. This program gives a continual flow of resources to the youth programs every season and has many fundraising opportunities through the year.

http://www.scholasticshootingtrust.org

We are up to 13 teams with nearly 600 young athletes in our High School conference here in SE Wisconsin.

http://www.sewisctpconference.com/

I also heard that the SCTP has signed up over 80 new teams for 2013 already.

SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many school trap teams are there in nebraska

how many youth participate in trapshooting

trap sshooting in nebraska up 50 percent