1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

School surprises Olympian Kim Rhode with new gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

School surprises Olympian with new gun

Rebecca Kimitch, Staff Writer - Los Angeles Newspaper Group

Four-time Olympic shooter Kim Rhode has new sights to set.
    The Monrovia resident is the new owner of a $15,000 Perazzi 2000 S competition shotgun. Supporters donated it to replace her former shotgun - used to win four Olympic medals - that was stolen nearly two weeks ago.

Cal Poly Pomona, where Rhode studies, surprised her with the shotgun Monday during a ceremony in which she thought she was going to be honored for her silver medal in skeet shooting in Beijing.

After being introduced by university President J. Michael Ortiz, Rhode took the stage and said a few words about her feats.

"It is not about the gold, the silver and the bronze when you are standing up there on the podium, it's about the journey and the bumps you had to overcome to get there," she said.

Rhode then fought back tears as she mentioned her latest bump - her stolen gun.

"It is still very hard," she said.

The Olympian used the gun, which she called Old Faithful, for 18 years. With it she won medals in the Atlanta, Sydney, Athens and Beijing Olympics in international double trap and international skeet.

The gun was stolen from the cab of her father's truck at the Lake Elsinore Outlet Center while Rhode and her mother were inside shopping.

When Ortiz stepped forward with the new shotgun, Rhode was struck with disbelief.

"You guys are sneaky," she said, all smiles. "I just hope I can win as many gold medals with that gun as I did with the other."

Upon hearing of the theft, donors had contacted Cal Poly Pomona to offer their help.

"It's so exciting to have so many people believe in me so much that they would replace my gun," Rhode said.

Rhode had to use a replacement gun, one she had used for spare parts, when she competed last week in Colorado Springs, Colo. Though she had troubles with the gun, she still placed second. Rhode will have to wait to use the new shotgun when she competes Sept. 29 at the World Cup Final in Minsk, Belarus, because California requires a waiting period before an owner can take possession of a new firearm.

Shooting without Old Faithful requires greater concentration and focus, Rhode said.

"It definitely isn't the gun that pulls the trigger, it's me ... but at the same time (the gun) becomes part of you, it's an extension of you," she said.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This is happening in california?????????at A college????????? I guess its really who you are and who you know. That is awesome though. Im just shocked this is happening in California

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The distance between Cal Poly and Berkely, et al is light years.

This is very nice. Kim is one of America's best, and deserves the help.

Congratulations to the donors.

HM

4. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

thank you Joe

for some positive news !

ernie

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A gun in school and no swat teams and evacuations? What's this world coming to.

6. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Great post Joe and best wishes for Kim. I hope she quickly adjusts to the new gun.

Now I have to put some ice on my head. I fell out of my chair after reading that she was presented a new gun at a State school in CA. Two thumbs way up for Cal-Poly Pomona.

A big thank you to the CA DOJ for keeping a new P-gun out of the hands of a four time Olympic medalist for ten days. I feel much safer.

Chip

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hope there was enough leftover to get her an in-truck gun vault

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

A college in California that's not an anti gun liberal rats nest????!!! Holy Skeet Gun Bat Man! This I gotta see!!!!! seriously It was a great thing for them to do for her! I'm sure there are plenty of LIBERALS who are appaled by it, but it's great to see this jesture by the school!

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I'm glad someone step up and got her a new gun.
    I just can believe that with all the manufacture of high end guns that someone would of jump on her for sponsership.
    Kim Rhode is not your average shooter.

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

That is a great story. However, I would make a fairly large bet that Perazzi would have (and maybe was in the process of) given Kim a new gun made just exactly how she wanted it. Wonder if the new one has 27.5" barrels? JAKE

11. ARMDQT

ARMDQT TS Member

Hi Kraiza,
    Kim is infact sponsored by Perazzi and I'm sure has one if not two new guns on the way so no worries about a gun shortage. I hear the Police and FBI are doing everything they can to retreive kims guns so we can keep our fingures crossed for that. Shoot straight!

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Great post, Joe!

Thanks. Make one feel pretty good, as good comes from bad.

Whiz

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I wish I had known about the fund raising efforts. It would really be great to make a donation for a gun that would likely win another Olympic medal.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.