1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

School shootings in Israel today?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

View attachment 200690

None.

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Might work here but I do not think it will ever happen

3. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Brian,

Would it be fair to assume, based on your posting, that you are recommending armed guards for all classrooms in the US. If so, it would be important to remember that Israel's security problems are largely caused by either external or internal terrorists who in general have a hard time getting their hands on full or semi-automatic weapons. On the other hand, in the US, our mass shooting problems are largely caused by internal crazies who seem to be able to get hold of the weapons necessary for these massacres.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Yeah it looks like the terrorists have a real hard time finding weapons

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The point he is making is that when only the bad guy has a gun, bad things can happen. HMB

6. Catpower

I know what Brian was saying and I totally agree

7. rustygun

rustygun Member

Isreal has pretty strict gun control laws compared to ours. I'm pretty sure you can't have a semi auto unless you are in the reserves. That picture was probably taken in Gaza or one of the other settlements.

8. Brian in Oregon

LOL Since when have terrorists had a hard time getting weapons? And how do you explain the plastic explosives they use?

9. rustygun

rustygun Member

The Israel Dept. of the Interior makes notification to the generalpublic the requirements necessary for the obtaining of a permit to possess a firearm:

1. Applicant must be a permanent resident of Israel for 3 consecutive years prior to making application for a firearms permit.

2. Applicant years of age.

3. The permit request must be for personal use, not to engage in the business of firearms sales.

4. Applicant must fall into one of the following categories:

a. Part-time reservist (volunteer) for 3 years- may own 1 handgun
    b. Such a reservist (volunteer) is a member of a gun club- may own 1rifle
    c. Professional, licensed public transportation driver, transportinga minimum of 5 passengers- may own 1 handgun
    d. Licensed animal control officer- may own 2 hunting rifles, *not*full automatic weapons, or semi-automatic weapons with a limitedcapacity magazine.
    e. Full-time dealer of jewelry or large sums of cash or valuables-may own 1 handgun

West Bank and Gaza Strip Settlers:

1. A resident in a militarily strategic buffer zone, essential to thesecurity of the State of Israel- may own 1 handgun

2. A business owner in these geographic areas- may own 1 handgun

Veterans:

1. Veterans of the Regular Army honorably discharged with the rank ofnoncommissioned officer, and veterans of the Reserve Army with the rankof regimental commander- may own 1 handgun

2. Retired law enforcement officers with the rank of sergeant- may own 1handgun

3. Retired prison guards with the rank of squadron commander- may own 1handgun

Individuals:

Upon presenting documentation that one is about to receive a souvenir, aprize, an inheritance, or an award of appreciation from the Israelmilitary.

10. Catpower

Rusty gun we also have laws that are supposed to prevent a man made tragedy like this one, it doesn't seem to be working too well

Do you think taking guns away from law abiding citizens will make it any better?

11. rustygun

rustygun Member

No I do not feel that gun laws would make a difference.

I was pointing out that security in Israel, is not a very good comparison to the shootings today.

12. Brian in Oregon

The point is that the Israelis are doing something right.

Recall, for example, how the Israeli airline installed locked cockpit doors, armed the crews, and had tight pre-boarding security. Meanwhile our planes are being hijacked and flown into buildings.

13. rustygun

rustygun Member

So do you think the Israeli firearm laws are something they are doing right?

That's why the comparison does not work.

14. Brian in Oregon

Not talking about Israeli firearms laws.

Talking about Israeli realizing that the true "first responder" in a school is an armed teacher.

15. rustygun

rustygun Member

Not every school has an armed responder, only those in designated "dangerous areas". They are also reservists with a weapon issued from the govt.

Crazy is just damn hard to stop.

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

We had armed Police Officers at our local schools despite never having had any real issues to bring them there. I thought it was a great idea and I felt an extra sense of security while my son was at school. Then some idiot Liberal parents said they didn't want their children to be in the presence of guns. After a stinky battle the schools pulled the Officers out. Maybe now the idiots will see how ignorant they really were. I doubt it though.

17. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Traders,

Before you go off the deep end, consider this. Guns have been around a very long time. I for one used to take my shotgun to Jr. High, and leave it in my locker so my buddies and I could go hunting after school on a nearby farm.

Before 1968 you could buy rifles by mail. 40-50 years ago we didn't have these problems, what's changed..? It isn't guns, or their availability, it's the character of the people.

Before this heinous event is over there will be plenty of blame to go around, none of it can truthfully be placed on guns, or door locks.

You can't legislate against inanimate objects, and cure human problems. If we could we'd live in a drug and violence free world already.

Kip

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Since when have terrorists or bad guys period had a problem getting their hands on weapons to carry out crimes??? Stick your head back in the sand or wherever you have it buried Traders.

19. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Rustygun has summed it up. "Crazy is just damn hard to stop"

Any LEO will agree.

Wayne

20. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Brian--Lets start with you. You seem to believe that we should have armed security in all schools. So, what about malls, movie theaters, buses, concert halls, etc. It would be endless. Try to remember that Israel has a population of about 6 million and it's major threats do not come from crazies who get a gun legally and use it for evil.

I said that terrorists outside of Israel have had little trouble getting weapons. I was wrong suggesting they did. I meant to limit my statement to internal terrorists. I never suggested that internal terrorists are using plastic explosive. You said 'how do you explain the plastic explosives they use?" Can you come up with some citation to indicate that plastic explosives have been used by terrorists is Israel.

Brian-- i really don't expect you do respond in any reasonable way, since you rarely do to any one's postings. My responses relative to yours are merely to indicate to other readers that you really don't thing through what you post.

i also noted that you lauded Israel's "tight pre-boarding security." On this site there have been numerous complaints about the waste of time caused by the TSA. I never noticed you asking for tighter security. Did I miss one of your postings. I wonder if you know that boarding a flight going to or from Israel on El Al, can take several hours. You might also be interested to know that there is an unsubstantiated rumor that an El Al flight crew can flood the main cabin with a highly debilitating gas. The crew knows that if this gas is released, it will likely kill some of the more frail passengers and those with heart conditions. If the rumor is true, it's a last choice decision. Some time ago, when Chechen terrorists took hundreds of hostages in a theater what I would guess was a similar gas, was used. It ended the standoff and most of the deaths were caused by the gas.

Rick--By mentioning that "Norway has some of the stricte gun laws in theworld, but hold the record for a mass shooting episode." are you suggesting that Norway's strict gun laws have not prevented Norway from having a high death rate from gun violence.? If you are, you need to do better research. Norway's strict gun laws and those of the rest of Europe have contributed to a very low death rate from gun violence. You may not like the fact, but it is certainly true. By almost any standard, the US is the most gun violent country in the developed world.

Catpower-- While all the facts are still unknown, we have a lot of other information about other mass shootings. You claimed that we have "laws that are supposed to prevent a man made tragedy like this one," What gun laws. if enforced, that we now have in place, would have prevented past and this mass shootings. As far as I can remember, not of the last few mass shootings were committed by people who got their guns in ways that our laws wouldn't have prevented. Remember, we are largely talking about State laws not Federal

Rustygun--by posting Israel's rules about gun ownership I believe you are destroying a common illusion of many of this site that Israel's gun laws are very liberal and necessary because of their security problems. As you clearly showed, Israel's gun laws are in many ways much stricter than ours and while you did not mention it and may not have known, they are Federal laws, not local. There is consistency throughout the county. In the future, please be careful in what you post. you don't want to confuse readers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.