1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

School league trophy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DecalDude, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

When I got involved 2 years ago with this sport, School league was in process. I watched these kids shoot and compete but for what? No letter no trophy in the case at school nothing.

One of the older guys was at a club and was saying he was in a second hand shop where there was a few BMX trophies(absolutly huge) for a few bucks.

I got to thinkin and well a new huge trophy could run into some money BUT what if I went and purchased 1 and got a shooter and ditched the bike, and had a plaque made up for the school league.

Well I did it and it will now be the new traveling trophy for the Chautauqua school league, and it will go to and stay with the overall winners for the year and stay at the sponser club till the end of the next season, when the next winner will take it for the next term.

Getting the youth involved with this sport will be a way to keep it going and teach them about gun safety, and quite possibly turn out a few up and commers.

Will get a picture up asap.

Jerry Lewis

2. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Jerry, as I've mentioned before, my two younger Sons shoot trap for their High School Team.

I think what you're doing is certainly a step in the right direction. Accolades are always a welcomed aspect of any sport.

Trap is a recognized Varsity sport at my kid's school, but does lack a bit of financial support. Parents are responsible for the $300 range fee, shell costs, providing the gun and all transportation.

I figure the 4 month season cost me around $700 per shooter plus transportation cost, and I reload all shells which I figure saves me around $340 for both of my shooters vs. buying factory loads.

So I think the major hurdle for most schools is deciding whether or not parents are willing to shell out $870+ and a gun for their shooter to participate in a school sport.

I think there's no doubt that if supported by their parents, kids would participate. To Varsity Letter at my kid's High School, a shooter must have a season average of 75% or better, which with practice is very attainable.

In our little town of 24,000, last year between two Jr. Highs and two High Schools we had 26 Jr. High and 70 High school shooters.

So I think the key to getting trapshooting to be a recognized school sport and kids to participate is winning the support of the parents. If that happens, varsity letters, trophies and all the other accolades associated with a school sport will follow.

Craig

3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Our schools tolerate it but dont recognize it. We keep the costs down to basically what we pay for shells and targets. Doesnt include power and time, but that is our way of helping them out.

Jerry Lewis

4. krieghoff200

krieghoff200 TS Member

Jerry.....We would like to include the high School league shooters in the AIM Program here in NY. pm me for further info...

Steve White...NYS AIM Director

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.