1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

School Bus When You Were A Kid.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When I was a kid we didn't have A/C on our school bus. The first kid on the bus would go to all the windows and open them on both sides. That was our A/C. As always the poor bus drive had to close them. LOL Now a days the parents are complaining to the schools about the kids riding in a HOT SCHOOL BUS. The kids today just don't know the word hot like we do.

2. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Mr. Whitmore had the old country store down the road and drove the school bus. I got put off the bus twice but deserved it both times. Can you imagine putting a junior high kid off on the side of the road these days? Also no air conditioning in the 50's/60's.

DoubleAuto

3. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

School buses are a liberal governmental program. If you want your kid to go to school, you take him there.

Real kids didn't have school buses. They had to walk.

4. 56007

56007 TS Member

School bus? Rain or shine, windy or calm, 100 above or 45 below, we walked to school.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Walked to and from school 5 miles, up hill, BOTH ways! :)

Being a kid these days sure IS different than what it used to be. The product of that childhood is ALSO different.

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Smokey, you wouldn't know anything about school buses yet......in order to ride you have to be big enough to get into the seat without help......be patient, maybe you'll get to ride someday.

7. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Hunter, you wouldn't know anything about school buses, because they take their riders to schools.

Pity you could never overcome your libraphobia.

8. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Depends on the state and indvidual school buses. School buses in our district in central Indiana do not have air conditioners. My neighbor is a retired factory worker, he drives a school bus for a local elementary. We just had the conversation yesterday about how humid it has been this summer, blah, blah, blah... He mentioned when they first get on the bus it is over 125 degrees inside the bus and that school rules say that windows can only go down 4 notches..

My kid got off the bus this past week absolutely soaked...

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

school bus, commonly referred to in the 50's as a "hack" I got to walk 10 miles, no bus

10. KRE

KRE TS Member

Michigan City, Indiana, (school system)in the 50's to mid 60's,(don't know about later) never had a bus that had A/C. As above, first on and last off worked the windows for the driver. Like our parents from WWII we pushed on with our lives, and made do very well with much less.

Most humans today, are a whinny bunch.

Kenneth

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I only graduated HS 7 years ago, and never rode on a school bus that had AC. We were lucky to have heat in the winter when it was 20 degrees outside LOL

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

1952 - A college friend and I shared driving a bus route for Lakeside School (Bill Gates' High School) in Seattle. Little rich kids who could be unruly but we got their attention by slamming on the brakes and rolling them down the isle.

An exhaust leak gave everybody headaches but after 3-4 months they put on a new muffler.

13. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Many years ago, my Mother walked about 3 miles to school. Later, after college, she taught school and rented a room from her Aunt & Uncle and walked about 3 miles to teach school. I went to a 1 room schoolhouse for a few months until they centralized and I got to ride the bus. We used to take our guns to school on the bus for "show & tell'. No problem then. Something has changed!! Larry Evans

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

My wife went to high school in SW Kansas in the late 70's and they employed 16-18 year old juniors and seniors as BUS DRIVERS. Two of her older siblings and one of her cousins served as drivers. They could get a permit at age 14 so most of them had been driving trucks and hauling grain for a couple years before they took a bus route.

Several students also had private pilots licenses before graduating high school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.