1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scholastic Shooting Trust?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tad houston, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Has anyone heard about this organization? I was told about it by another SCTP coach but in looking around their web site it seems to be in the organizational stages.

I love the idea, hope it makes it.

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Sounds like a great idea but you give the money to MidwayUSA so that they can give it to the school of your choice and ... well ... it is held in a trust so there will be a little extra earnings from that trust that will go along with your donation but why not just give the money straight to the school for the program?

Ya know looking at the site a little closer it is kind of funny that with all the gun control laws in the District of Columbia that they would even have any schools in the District listed but what the heck.

Ya know they even have some of the various Muslim/Mosque schools around the country listed to give money to so they can have it for there shooting programs.

Like I said sounds like a nice program but if you know the school that has a program and you want to donate to that program why not just give it directly to them?

3. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Some of my concerns as well. We certainly have methods in place to accept local donations and would encourage that above all else. I will reserve my judgment until I get a response to my request for a Grant Request (which is not yet available on the site).

The coach that passed this information along indicated that their team is currently receiving (some) funding from this organization. If that turns out to be accurate then I suppose I wouldn't have a problem in promoting them, some folks in this digital age are more likely to click on the "Give" button than they are to go out of their way to "find" someone on the local level and write a check.

If we as a sport pick up additional moneys to promote youth shooting through these instances, I guess I would consider that a gain.

I was just hoping that someone here might actually know something about the organization.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It this what you are looking for?

Neil

5. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Neil,

Thanks! I think it is!

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

This appeared on the ATA website just now, trapdady. It's exactly what you are after.

Neil

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Neil ... you can donate to Columbine High School on that site and for some reason I do not think Columbine High School has any types of shooting programs.

I wonder if it is wise to promote an organization that is so new and yet to actually give the first dollar out to any school shooting program.

8. monroecity67

monroecity67 TS Member

Thanks for your kind words on the Scholastic Shooting Trust.

My wife Brenda and I created The MidwayUSA Foundation (501-(c)(3) in 2007 and The Scholastic Shooting Trust became operational on May 1, 2008 as the first mission of the Foundation. Our goal to to help create shooting programs at all 23,000 high schools and colleges in the U.S. To get things started, the Potterfield family contributed a total of $750,000 to the schools the family attended and the schools in the hiring area of The MidwayUSA mail-order sporting goods company www.midwayusa.com - about 30 different schools in total, including University of Missouri - Columbia, University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, Hickman High School - Columbia, Missouri; please look them up in the SST, and if you would like the rest of the list, please let me know.

The SST Website is the primary tool for collecting funds. Anyone can donate as little as $10 and designate it for the school of their choice. The MidwayUSA foundation contracts with an investment company to manage the funds and each summer a payout is calculated for each school that has received donations. If the school has an active program, the coach requests the available money and we send it to him/her to help operate the school's shooting program(s). If there is no program, then the earnings may rollover or be given to another school, but the principle stays with the designated school.

We created the SST because there was no program available allowing anyone anyone to contribute money to the future of the shooting sports and earmark it for a specific school.

Every school in the country is included, because we believe that students at every school should be able to participate on a shooting team, if they so desire. Most of the schools our family contributed to don't currently have a shooting team, but it is our believe that the availability of money will be part of the incentive to create the shooting team.

No funds have been granted at this time. The Grant Requests will be available in July, but likely only those schools that have an expected payout, based on contributions received, will be eligible for grants, because the only money available is that which has been donated and designated for a specific school.

Now, if you want to see a shooting team get started at your high school or college, or help fund an existing team, then just visit the SST website and make a donation to that school. Then send your friends a link to the SST website and ask them to do the same.

Thanks in advance for your support and if I can answer any questions, please let me know.

Aim Straight,

Larry Potterfield
    President/CEO
    MidwayUSA

President
    The MidwayUSA Foundation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.