1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scent eliminators for whitetail hunting

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I've been doing a lot of research on the internet concerning scent elimination products. I couldn't believe how many there are out there on the market. Never have used any myself but was wondering if anyone has and if they had any luck with them. A couple that caught my attention were the buck bomb spray and the scent killer spray. If anyone has had any experience with this stuff or can recommend something that works that would be appreciated.

2. high 2

high 2 Member

Scentloc clothing is the only way to go. I also use scent away. In the last 3 years I`ve had several deer come in from straight down wind without a clue I was there. I don`t like to use any cover scents, no scent is the best. Seeing is believing. Larry

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The problem with being Carnivores, is our breath. Does not matter how much scent killer you use. Fact of the matter is if the deer is downwind, they are going to smell you. Good selling ploy for all of the millions of dollars of scent products though.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've been told the same thing by supposed experts in the industry. I spray myself with one of the scent cover-up products but it probably makes me feel better more than cover my scent.

Ed

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

A friend used Doe urine . How he got it I have no idea . Worked like a magnet on Bucks .

6. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

It is important to spray your boots and pants when walking in. We also spray down when finally up in the stand.

In a ground blind or ambush spot, I spray and take a couple piles of cow sh!# along (somewhat dry mind you) in a bucket and break them up around me. We have lots of cattle around and it seems to work.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I think you should use the freshest you can gather up, and spread it all around your stand. Maybe even rolling in it would be best. LOL

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Be careful with that doe urine. You might get a surprise if you aren't watchful.

HM

9. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Check into Ozonics electronic scent eliminator. Bill

10. jw oh

jw oh TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have tried all of the above.
    This product has proved to be as good any for me.
    Have been a successful bow hunter for over 40 years.
    Hunt only from the ground now. Too dang old to climb.
    Wear clean camo, rubber bottom boots and do not move around is my best advice.
    Two so far this year and I do eat them.

http://www.buckeyecam.com/index.php/product-line/scentsmoker

11. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Best scent eliminator I have ever used.....1/2 distilled water and 1/2 vanilla extract. Spray on clothes and let dry.

I was told about this by a guy in Alabama...tried it and have never used anything else.

JMHO

Jim C

12. steele

steele TS Member

I've never tried this with deer, but when I'm in Colorado bowhunting for elk, I always cover scent myself with sage. I arrive in camp 2-3 days prior to hunting. I put all my hunting clothes in a large black plastic garbage bag. I then pick several handfulls of sage from the area & put it in with my clothes. I leave the bag out in the sun until I'm ready to go. You would be amazed how much sage permiates the clothes. This matches the odors/smells that are prevalent in the area. Elk are even more finicky than deer about smell & I fooled several of them like this. ( Maybe only the dumb ones) Butch from Pgh

13. oleww

oleww Member

I use baking soda. put it in a spray bottle and squirt your boots down before walking into the woods. I also use it to brush my teeth before morning hunts.,

thats as cheap as you can get

14. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Bluzman98,

Pretty interesting but I would have figured the strong vanilla smell would alert the deer.

15. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Actually when dried, the scent is more like the "fresh dirt/earth" scents that are sold retail. I was surprised by both this and its effectiveness.

Jim C

16. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I have real good luck with the Scentshield products...wear rubber boots, and also use fox urine.

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The best scent eliminator is nothing at all or at least truely natural stuff. I wash my clothes now in baking soda and then hang them outside. I dress after getting out of my truck at the hunting location no matter how cold it is. I transport my clothes in a RubberMaid box with pine needles and leaves from the woods i hunt. Take an old pair of your wifes panty hose(or your yours if that's how you roll) and wash them in the baking soda with your clothes. Then stuff them with the leaves and pine needles and tie them in a knot. This prevents the leaves and pine needles from actually getting in the clothes which itches(don't ask how i know). I haven't been winded in a long time(knock on wood).

18. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I've got a lot of money tied up in scentlok, but I don't really think it works too well. Get there early, use the wind and stay put. When their sense of smell is 20,000 times better than ours, you ain't gonna take it all away or cover it up. good huntin'! Bill Wheeler

19. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I often have wondered how much research is actually done on these products. I know that scent killer claims that it has been studied at Rutgers University and kills 99% of odors.

20. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Sometimes scent doesn't really matter. A customer of mine got a nice 8 point buck Sunday morning. He had been in his ground blind for 2 hours and was thinking of leaving. He was smoking a cigarette and looked up and this buck came walking straight into the wind to within 20 yards of him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.