1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scenario - [ Sandbagging ] It can't be done !!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hwy13, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Scenario - [ Sandbagging ] It can

Hello All ,

It might be more accurate to say - can't be done on the sly,
    can't be done on the cheap let me know what you think ??

I'll use round numbers - A person who averages 96 in singles is
    a very good trapshooter. There is a huge difference between
    breaking 24 birds each trap vs breaking 23 birds each trap 96 vs 92

The fellows at his home club know what his average is, the clubs that
    he drives to on Sundays know he squads in as an A shooter.

The target year starts Sept 1st. - no average - this fellow says big
    money shoot in May, I'm gonna shoot C scores Sept Oct April. He
    writes down 12 91 's on his average card.

He tells his buddies, must be flinching, gotta change triggers, might have
    to bend my barrel. It costs $25 - to shoot 100 singles, plus shells,
    plus gasoline, he just shot 12 of them.

The May shoot arrives, he signs up for the 200 singles event, plays
    every option, in order to walk away with a very nice C trophy ?
    and some pocket change ? For what reason ?

The 96 shooter didn't get there in a short time, lots of hard work
    lots of expense, now he takes pride in his scores, is he wanting
    to enter two classes below his average ? just on a maybe he will
    win something?

2. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

It ain't done in singles, no money there. Handicap is a different story. A 21,22 yard shooter that makes sure that he doesn't get a punch unless he is well paid. That is sandbagging and it is common. When you see a short yardage shooter play all the money and turn is a 98,99 or 100 at a big shoot, you know what is going on. Same score and just played the lewie, he just got lucky. Watch the payouts, you will see.

3. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

The only thing I would say is that the options are not necessarily the tell all. I shoot from the 23 and trying like hell to move back and I play all the options on handicap. Why because I know I will shoot at least a 90, might run some 50's even and I know if I could just keep my brain disconnected a little longer I could break a good score and I believe that everytime I go out is going to be that time. Might be crazy but I don't want to run that good score and not have played the options. Will I get money back that I put in at all those shoots, probably not. But a blackjack dealer once told me "If you double down on 11, then you have to double all or none" Can't get cold feet because there is a ten up. But to what you are saying, I shoot to win everytime, not often enough, but if someone wants to keep score or yardage down in hopes of hitting a big one one time they have other issues and we can't help them!

4. fishguts

fishguts Member

I know someone who misses targets on purpose to stay in "C" class.......

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The ATA allows sandbaggers to get registered targets at reduced fees, it's called the Big 50. HMB

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Here is a good one. At times this can happen at especially at smaller clubs in handicap with fewer shooters. Experienced shooters see a new(and/or)young shooter. They allow him to shoot a good score & take the punch. I know for a fact as this happened to my 18 yr old son at his first registered shoot. What is their purpose? Maybe they need targets? Maybe they want the practice? Maybe they have a post they want to work on? Who know? Where there is money to be won involved,look for cheating. Ain't nice or proper. A fact of life.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

BEWARE of the older guy that has shot a minimum handicap targets and is a short yarder !

8. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Then, ........there's the Calcutta.

mike

9. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Since nobody starts out at 27 yard line, it seems obvious that the way to get from short yardage to long yardage is to shoot good scores. Given that, then it seems logical to me to expect some very good scores posted by short yardage shooters. If that makes them sandbaggers then every long yardage shooter must have been a sandbagger at one time, at least until the Peter Principle caught up with him/her. JMHO

10. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I started shooting registered targets in 2009 and have shot 400 so far. Not having shot since 1990 and being only a D shooter I see no reason to push me back to 23 yd because I don't shoot enough targets. Anyway shot my first handicap ever from the 23 and hit 78 with a 870 comp that doesn't fit. So number 8 gets called for the BT-99 and I'm in my first shoot off against 8 other shooters. Miss the first target so I'm done. Only 2 people hit the first 10 so they shot off again.
    My heart beat went way up. I don't think this is good for my health so I will never attempt to be a sandbagger. I am not qualified physically, mentally, emotionally or financially. But I may get on a hot streak some day!!

Harry

11. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

Harry, That is the best down to earth trap shooting story I have heard in my life..Thanks for sharing Jr

12. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

who are you trying to convince? Seems you have devoted a whole lot more time in figuring out something that noone does than most spend on figuring out their averages.

13. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello Twinbirds ,,

What I am saying is ?? There are a lot of comments about sandbagging.
    It is too expensive and time consuming , no advantage , missing targets
    doesn't pay all that good.

Yet you will hear talk about sandbagging at a lot of events, there could be
    a case when talking about handicap ? Maybe that is open for discussion ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.