1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scanner almost gets shot!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by puablo, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Anybody here use a HP All-in-One scanner? Mine pushes me to the limit every
    once in a while.
    Works fine, then for some reason, when you try to find it under programs, it's
    not there...like the aliens came and snatched it out of my computer...I end up having to uninstall and reinstall the entire mess to get it to work properly.
    What the heck am I doin wrong??? Cause it could get nasty one day!

Thanks for any input,
    puablo

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When it starts to act up go to system restore and put in a date when it was working OK. HMB

3. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Do not scare me like this. Mine is the one thing that I have been able to count on for several years. I wish all my junk would work as well.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I would check HP's website for software updates for that model. Wayne

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Puablo, if it's an older unit like my 2175xi, your operating system (vista) or some other recent software installation may be conflicting with it.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would uninstall the software and reload it

7. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Have you tried a reboot when this happens??? Worked for me until I just used it for target practice.

8. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I have the HP Photosmart C5180 All-in-one. Working great, no problems. Prints photos compatible to 35MM negatives.

Like Wayne said: check HP's web site for up dates to the soft ware. I check for up-dates for my scanner, perhaps once a month. Ever not and than I get a hit and down load the latest up-date. You software may/should have a direct hot button for up-dates.

Frank

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

HP builds very good printers and scanners....BUT...thier software SUCKS if you don't have a HP computer! It conflicts with other software.

10. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I gave up on mine and gave it to my son in law. He fixed up for his daughter and its working great. I had the same problems as Paublo. I ended up buying a Cannon MX 850 and all my problems went away. life is to short for those kind of hassles. BRGII

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I was given a HP ScanJet 4200C with HP Intelligent Scanning Technologies because it did not turn off when it was bought new. There was supposed to be an online fix one could download to fix the problem but I never found it. I now just plug the power source in when needed and then unplug it when finished. Ray

12. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Thats what I do...I uninstall it, then install it again, and it works fine for awhile. puablo

13. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Damn! I thought there was gonna be a funny story about someone going about trying to get pics of their gun on the computer the WRONG way. Well, at least everyone's ok...good luck with your scanner problems, too.

14. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Hi, Rick
    Ya know it might jest be that I've never gone along with the update notices...figured I'd keep putting it off. I'll do them from now on.

It's an HP C4280, XP

It would only be a good cartoon if it ended up gettin shot!

Hi, JR...see you at NY

Bye, puablo

15. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Thanks alot, Rick I just got it from them...thanks for the help.....Jeff

16. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

EE.....how many specialized programs are installed on your computer?

If you just use you computer to surf the web, write & recieve email, nd maybe adjust your digital prints...you shouldn't have any conflicts.

BUT>>>>>>>> if you have advanced graphics, accounting, design, or similar programs....you will have software conflicts with HP's software.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

puablo

If you have ever had other HP software and drivers installed for other HP Hardware, you might need to clean them out for the new ones to work properly. HP had a utility that did that automaticaly. Don't bother asking their tech support, since I had to point them to it in the past. Their support is one of the worst. There are several versions of the utility for different models, so it would be helpful for you to know what deveices may have been installed. There is one for your scanner also, if you need to uninstall the software prior to installation. Their regular uninstall or Windows uninstall options do NOT clean out all of their gargage and a lot is left behind.

For may reasons, I do not recommend HP products anymore. Their support is poor and their software and drivers are buggy. I'd rather buy an Epson, Canon, or other brand of scanner or all-in-one. HP Printers have gone down the toilet as well. The printing costs have gone up and the quality of the printer has gone way down, especially the mid and lower end of the spectrum.

18. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

My HP all in one stopped working 45 days after purchase. I spent two weeks on and off with their tech support in India. After two weeks they informed me the system was no longer under warranty. It went straight to the trash and was replaced with a Cannon.

Problem solved.

Chip

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

chipped1

Were you even able to understand what they were saying?

20. Gabe

Gabe Member

When I turn my computer on I've found that unless I turn my scanner on first the computer won't recognize it. Once the computer is booted up I can turn the scanner on and off as I please. As long as I don't reboot the computer with the scanner off it works fine. Maybe that's your problem. Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.