1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

'Scalia takes Kagan to gun range?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerbear, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Scalia takes Kagan to gun range, sources say
    According to two witnesses, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia took fellow Justice Elena Kagan out for a lesson in skeet shooting at his shooting club in Virginia last week.

The witnesses saw Scalia at the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club, where he is a member, around noon on Wednesday of last week. He was with a woman who was noticeably diminutive in height, like Kagan, who stands at about five feet three inches. The witnesses, who got a very close look at the pair, say that the woman was the newest Supreme Court Justice.

Scalia was bending down in order to teach Kagan how to hold the shotgun, the witnesses say, and the pair were shooting skeet.

Kagan, who was nominated to the Supreme Court by President Obama in May and confirmed by the Senate in August, is generally believed to hold negative opinions toward the Second Amendment. The perception is based on a memo she penned in the eighties as Justice Thurgood Marshall’s law clerk, in which she said she was “not sympathetic” to the Second Amendment argument in District of Columbia v. Heller, a case that dealt with the District of Columbia’s ban on handguns. Also, during her time as a member of the Clinton administration, she played a role in instituting a temporary suspension of licenses for the importation of assault rifles. Kagan did not comment on the issue of gun rights during her confirmation hearings.

The Fairfax Rod and Gun Club would not comment on the matter. The Supreme Court of the United States did not respond to request for a comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone shoot there?

Jerbear

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

look at the fees (scroll to the bottom of the webpage):

http://www.fxrgc.org/general.html

it caters to the wealthy within the metro DC region....the majority of shotgun shooters utilize Bull Run Shooting Center that is about a 20 minute drive from Fairfax rod and Gun or PG Country Trap and Skeet just north of DC in MD to feed their shotgun sports fix.

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I have some friends who are members there. It's a beautiful club...very friendly people. They give out great trophies when they have shoots that are open to the public. Although the membership is expensive, everyone makes you feel welcome there when you come as a guest or when you shoot a public ATA shoot. They are not snooty at all.

This is a wonderful thing that Justice Scalia is doing. It would be beneficial if every trapshooter would also extend invitations to their non-shooting friends and colleagues. This is a case where famiarity does NOT breed contempt, rather it works in our favor.

4. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Oh no ! not skeet ! how can we stop this?

js in PA

5. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Hey Doggai,

Doggai,

Can you provide me with the name or names of individual Rep. that declined your offer as they could not make any money at it. I called the Rep. of Wright co.office and nobody knows anything about this invitation from BGC.

Provide a name or are you just blowing smoke.

Birddog

6. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I've seen several articles on Justice Scalia's passion for hunting and from the accounts I've seen it was AFTER he was a member of the Court. Jeffery Toobin details this in his book "The Nine." Yes, the same guy that's on CNN. It's actually a pretty balanced book and very insightful into the inner workings of the Court. Someone had the good sense to properly introduce a guy from New Jersey into the world of sport shooting. We should thank heaven that he has taken this lesson and extended it onto another Justice. We all know the benefits of a proper introduction to firearms.

Hal Hitchcock

7. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree with recurvyarcher; as I have taken some colleagues (who I know are adverse to firearms) trap-shooting. Every time we meet, they ask when we can go again as they had such a great time and now have a favorable impression of gun-owners. Converts you might say. It's well worth the effort. Chichay

8. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

The Democrats in charge do not want to give up THEIR 2nd Amendment rights. They want you to give up YOUR 2nd Amendment rights.

You cannot believe the multi headed,forked tongue dragons. VOTE THE OUT NEXT WEEK.

9. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Is it just me, or does anybody else out there think Kagan looks like Lou Costello's little sister?

Kiv

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that Sam Alito is also a clay target shooter.

Good advice, Recurvy...let's all invite a newbie to go shooting with us.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Devi's right. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

...and this little circus was supposed to impress who??

MK

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

14. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

Kagan can go suck on a skeet barrel.

Hopefully if this story is true it will provide some traction for the Pro Gun agenda. Maybe someone has helped Kagan to pull her ugly head out of her fat, nobody would want, A$$.

Any liberal attempts to pose as knowledgeable impartial or edified simply gives them more credibility during their crusades, witch hunts and vilification of Guns and Gun Owners.

She may come back and claim that she has now found an appreciation and respect for sportsmen and their shooting disciplines, then vilify and attempt to destroy all other Gun Rights with more useless legislation aimed at defecating on the 2nd Amendment.

The Liberal mindset can never be reversed. It is ingrained into their beings as
    champions of all people who must be saved from themselves. Everything is for the betterment as they are superior in intellect and knowledge. The pose as highly intelligent super beings with the ability to progressively make the necessary changes. It is far more dangerous then one might imagine.
    This false intellect combined with ego that would make most 3rd world dictators cringe is despicably dangerous. The Democratic agenda and its enforcers are rigid, defined and executed by the Liberal elitists. They will not change or allow for bending of the agenda. It's not going to happen.

You can spray paint a turd silver and all you'll ever get is a silver turd.

True you can catch more flies with Honey than Vinegar.
    I don't believe for a second that you could drown this fat little POS in enough honey to make a damned bit of difference.

15. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Any time that a responsible shooter can take an "anti" shooting it is a good thing. Period.
    Many of the hard core anti gun owners have never experienced the fun of breaking a target, smelled the smoke, etc.
    dju

16. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Birddog, MK & Zero4x,

Why would you not encourage these type of introductions to those who sit on the highest court in the land??? I've seen many folks go to a gun club for the first time and have their opinion of "gun ownership" changed forever and then join a club themselves.

You might want to rethink your earlier statements.

Sometimes I think we have a large collection of very small thinkers here.

Dave

17. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Doggai,

Your mind must be slammed shut so tight you could not open it with a pick and ax. You like to use a lot of fancy words and at the same time you are sticking you foot in your mouth so far it is sickening.

I just spoke with Rep Bruce Anderson from Wright co. and no offer from the
    Buffalo Gun Club was made to them. They know nothing about it.

""we offered the club grounds to the local Republican party for the same fee and for the same purpose""

So, Doggai, what really is the truth here.

Birddog

18. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

I've been told that Charles Schumer, a very anti-gun Senator from New York, holds a carry permit for New York City. For those who don't know, it's almost impossible to get a carry permit for N.Y.C.

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

abbielew/birdog, I'm confused. Is doggai not from the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club?

20. maka

maka Member

If this story is true? I believe this is great! There are to many people in our Federal gov't who have never experienced the joy of recreational shooting. All they see is some unstable individual on the nightly news either robbing someone with a stoleden hand gun or; actually Murdering them. As a result they get this idea or attitude that all guns are terrible!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.