1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Scale Suggestions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by greenhorn, Sep 22, 2013.

1. greenhorn

greenhorn Member

Please "weigh in" with your suggestions for the best reloading scale on a budget. I would prefer a digital scale, as they seem to be cheaper. This scale will be used little, I plan to use it to set up the adjustable charge bar and verify charges for QA.

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I have used an old Pacific magnetic for years. Easy to set up and zero. A few of them on e-bay right now.

Wayne

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

A decent beam scale....

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have both and prefer the beam scale for shotgun reloading and to check powder weights on the digital scale which dispenses powder also

My P/W powder drops stay consistent but I still check at least every 50 rounds..

5. Cstraight

Cstraight TS Member

Greenhorn,

Here is a link to a digital scale sold by Ballistic Products. The cost is $28 plus shipping. I have a RCBS 10-10 beam scale that I really like but it sells for $149+/-. I have just ordered the Ballistic Products scale because I have recently been unable to "zero" my beam scale. Also, I want to be able to double check the weights shown by my beam scale.

Chris

6. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

Beam scale>> cheap digital scale.
    I wouldn't trust any digital scale that cost less than $100 for anything other than weighing mail. I wouldn't even trust most scales that cost 3X that for reloading. Too many stories of digital scales that crap out, give false readings and/or are just plain junk. Almost every digital scale I looked at marketed as a reloading scale seemed to have some sort of problem. I have considered going digital many times, but always end up at the same conclusion... Any trustworthy digital scale isn't worth the price if it's only going to be used for reloading. Beam scales are cheap, accurate and don't have the problems that a similar priced digital scale will have.

I've used some really nice digital scales in a lab setting and while they may save you a few seconds here and there they definitely wouldn't be saving you any $$. When I reload, I zero my scale and I weigh the first three drops (1st is always heavy on my p/w, 2nd as an actual # and the 3rd as verification of the 2nd) and then once every time I find a natural break in the reloading process (normally loading primers). After the first three I leave the scale set where it's at (eg 16grains) and then the others are just dumped in to verify the powder charge still balances the scale. No need to actually reset the weights and fiddle with them until the scale balances again. In total I probably spend less than 3 minutes setting the scale up and weighing powder charges. With a digital scale it would probably only be 2 minutes but, I would spend hours second guessing the scale itself. How much $$ is that minute saved actually worth to you?

7. hera200

hera200 Member

BOTH is the way to go! Beam is most reliable and digital is quickest and easiest. Have both to check on each other and be forewarned if there is much disagreement between the two....BUD

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I have several and in a digital, I like one that's a Cabelas brand but looks exactly like an rcbs. I've not caught this scale being incorrect in the 5 years that I've had it. Can't say the same for others I own. I weigh often as I am mental about it.

I 've also had beam scales that lied and or weren't consistently accurate. One an rcbs which they replaced n the other a Pacific.

No absolutes with anything.

I'm getting ready to try a new digital that Cabelas has on sale.As always I will try to catch it in a lie. But they're like $32 and weigh up to 1500gr.