1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Say GOODBYE to Hastings Barrels!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Brought over from ShotgunWorld:

Guess SGW can take down that Welcome to Hastings Ammunition banner here. Just went to the Ammo site, and this was posted there:

--- ANNOUNCEMENT ---

The Hastings Barrel Company has closed.
    The remaining inventory of barrels, ammunition and chokes will be liquidated by Kull's Old Town Station online ONLY auction beginning early in 2010. Your local gunshops may still have retail products in inventory for sale, limited to stock on hand as of 12/15/09.
    Please see http://www.Armsbid.com to sign up for email notification and you will receive notice of the auction.
    Thank you for your interest & past purchases of Hastings products.

--- ANNOUNCEMENT ---

Contact information listed in the Website is no longer applicable. While the website remains active, questions concerning the website only may be emailed to: Webmaster@hastingsammunition.com

--- ANNOUNCEMENT ---

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=202731&sid=ad9bdba1045492a503be584eed019e7e

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I wonder what this will do to the value of their 1100 High Rib Trap barrel. JM

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I guess I put off buying one too long.

4. bigmike

bigmike TS Member

Hate to see this they were good barrels for the most part chokes,were pretty good too. bigmike

5. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

What a shame. I've got a couple Hastings barrels for an 870. Bought them in '97. One is a WadLock. Really stops the wad rotation, dead in it's tracks,,,LOL. Actually I couldn't see any difference between the two.

6. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Great barrels for targets and wingshooting. Hated to see them stop making barrels that are steel shot safe and have choke tubes for some of the out of production guns (A-5's, Browning Double Auto's, Model 12's, etc.) several years ago. I stocked up on Hastings barrels over the last few years.

DoubleAuto

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

When I read this thread yesterday, I emailed Shotgun Sports Magazine editor-in-chief Johnny Cantu for a confirmation. Johnny emailed back saying that readers were telling him that Hastings' phones were disconnected and their website no longer permitted email communication with them, but he had neard nothing official. Later in the day, he called me to tell me that he had just received a letter from their attorneys advising him that Hastings is in fact out of business.

As Johnny said, it is a sad indicator of the state of the world's economy. I guess this means I can stop hoping for a high-rib trap barrel for my 870...

Ed

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I would guess it will make Hastings barrels more valuable. I would also guess that Remington step rib barrels will be worth more money also and in more demand.

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Great shooting barrels. Now, the prices are going to get stupid fast.

10. AveragEd

Just a couple of days ago, a friend offered to buy the unused I/M choke tube for my Hastings high-rib barrel on my 1100. I passed just in case I might want to use it sometime - boy, now that looks like it was a good decision!

Ed

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Anyone have an X-full choke for the high rib trap barrel?? I have all of them except that one and would like to complete the set.

Jim

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I don't think it's going to affect things too much. The fact that the 1100 is an inexpensive target gun will hold the prices down.

I mean, who's going to spend stupid money to put a barrel on a $600 gun? I can have one re-ribed for $450 the way I want it, and not have to deal with choke tubes. I own one of the Hastings trap barrels and it is a good barrel for $350.

The fact that a Timney trigger for the 1100 hasn't gotten rediculously priced will tell you a lot. They have been between $200-$250 (really nice condition) for a few years now.

You might see a little bit of panic buying for a couple of months, but the economy and good reasoning will keep things in check.

ss

13. AveragEd

ss, I bought the Timney releases for my 870 and 1100 shortly before Allen Timney stopped making them for $150 each brand new - I'd call 33 to 66 percent inflation for used ones significant. And look at some of the prices that the "good" 1100 trap barrels are fetching. About three years ago, I declined more money ($500) for my fixed-full, step-rib barrel than I paid for the entire 1100TT when I bought it new ($425.99)!

But you're right about the accessory being for an "inexpensive" gun holding prices down more so than if they were for a more costly one.

Ed

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Would you rather sell a Remington trigger or a Perazzi one?

I think the low cost guns have enough popularity to keep the demand for accessories/parts at a fairly brisk pace.

I would keep another 1100 barrel or 2 around just as an investment. I know I can sell the ones I have any time.

HM

15. shaner

shaner Member

just to bad another american company goin out the door, thats the main problem whether you liked their products or not

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

shaner,

Hastings is a French company.

Ed,

You didn't account for inflation. Wasn't Stu selling the releases for $300 when he ran out?

ss

17. AveragEd

SS, you might well be correct - I never priced them after buying mine.

Ed

18. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Just to keep things clear Timney sold two triggers for Remingtons the all steel trigger that he made himself is the ones that are going for the 250.00 to 300.00 range and I think that will stay up there as there are no more being made anymore. Try to buy a all steel Moneymaker Beretta trigger there are very few of those around. The Timney conversions on Remington houseings are around 150.00 to 175.00 used and will most likely remain in that range. Timney also made some custom speed lock triggers that were different than the regular releases he converted Daro Handy shot that trigger for years they are highly sought after today they were adjustable that is all I know about them most were on the west coast. Mr Timney was a great trigger man in his day an icon in trap shooting history.

Buddy

19. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Damm, I was thinking of getting 34" barrel for my 1100. I waited too long. Todd

20. shaner

shaner Member

well i knew the barrels were made in france but the company selling them was in kansas which i was refering too ,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hasting shot gun barrels made in france

rules for shooting steel shot out of hastings barrel