1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Saxon Dresden M-1851 Rifle (Civil War)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I have a Saxon M-1851 rifle that I'm researching. I'd like to learn its value and to see if there are any here who may be interested in such an item.

Thank You,

Guy Babin

gdbabin_2008_030343.jpg

gdbabin_2008_030344.jpg

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Is that a .58 cal Guy??

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

.58 it is. Rifled 37 1/8" long.

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

gdbabin, you may want to call "The Horse Soldier" in Gettysburg. 717-334-0347 They specialize in Civil War munitions. Bulge.

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

up one more try

6. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Guy,
    I am a curator for a small Civil War museum and the musket you have might be considered rare by some collectors as only around 29,000 or so were imported from Dresden by the U.S. There were two models and the easiest way to determine which model you have is to measure the barrel.. Some were short barrels around 37 inches or so and the long barrel around 40 or so. If they follow the common rifling of that time frame, the shorter barrel will be more accurate due to the rifling in it..

As far as value, check the stock and see if there are any number on it, commonly called "rack numers" or any other marking that might help I.D. what unit or individual used the musket.. Also, like most European weapons, all the major parts will be stamped with the last three digits of the serial number including the ramrod, if it is all matching, then of course the value will increase, if not, value will decrease. Just another note for your information, the Saxon is also known as the "Dresden". Without really looking at the piece I can only tell you that like all other collectibles, the price has gone down but it should bring around $1,500.00 or so for someone looking to add one to their collection..

Van

7. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I would rather have some good scotch, like Chivas Regal, instead of the Knob Creek straight bourbon--lol.

eak....

8. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Howdy Y'all,
    I stick with the Creek thanks,By the way.......nice rifle Guy.....you ever shot it?......Just wonderin'
    O/T........Tuscarora Sunday? Will Osker,and I see y'all there?
    Smoke 'em all
    D.P.Reynolds

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Van,

Thank you for the info. This is a 37 1/8" barrel and all of the components and hardware do match the last three sans the rod and one screw on the top rear receiver tang--dammit!. There is no rack number on the stock, just the complete serial number on the upper side. I've read that these were issued to regiments from IL, IO, WI and OH. The action is tight, smooth and locks sharply. I will bring it to experts in my area to help fix a fair price. I realize dealers will only want to pay appx 70% of retail. I'll try to sell it at closer to retail. We'll see.

Dave,

No, I haven't ever shot it. Haven't shot a black powder of any sort for some reason....

We'll pass on Tuscarora this Sunday and just shoot HOM and then a family deal later in the eve. CYAs soon.

The only thing wrong with the Creek bottle ye see there is that the damned thing leaked; and when pictured was as empty as a Japanese reactor cooling pool in March. No worries. Since then it's been replaced by another equally leaky libation vessel of a different brand. You see I have varied interests when it comes to whiskey and women. Aline has slowed down one of my proclivities--the remaining serves as a nice memory of the other without all the trouble.

Guy B.

10. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Howdy Guy,

I'll see if I can get ya a bottle that ain't broke......any preferences? Until then........give our regards to that pretty little philly of yours.
    See y'all soon...........Smoke 'em all

D.P.Reynolds

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hang on to that gun Guy...I have a bunch of smokepoles needing some exercise once i'm walking...I love making clouds!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

civil war dresden musket

civil war dresden rifle

dresden civil war rifle

dresden musket

dresden musket civil war

dresden rifle civil war

saxon 5 rifle

saxon rifle