1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Saw first of season baby Quail -yesterday

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tom Strunk, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

While out scouting yesterday I came upon two pairs of adult quail and about a dozen baby Gambel's quail. They are so cute, about the size of a walnut, or slightly smaller. They were to small to fly, just hatched in the last few days.

Looking forward to a great year of quail hunting here in central Arizona.

Tom Strunk

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

5-6 years ago I had a covey of 6 bobwhite on my farm, they disappeared and havent been seen since.. I did see a bobwhite run across the road in front of me 3 years ago.. Honestly I dont know why the Tennessee Wildlife Commision still allows them to be hunted.. I consider them to be an almost extinct species..

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I had coveys on my farm up till 2 yrs ago---there for 100 yrs---no more---I have a pair of eagles now and many hawlks---No more quail and few rabits---They all lived through the DDT yrs but can't survive the hawlks---If U kill a hwalk U go away for a long time but they can kill anything in sight---OH for the good old days---sjb---

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I feed the quails, doves and all of the birds that come around in the back yard ... I buy the bird seed mix 100#'s at a time and they are eating very well ... I also buy the blocks for the rabbits and other critters who come and help themself ... The baby quail are a stitch to watch as they run around not knowing what to do next with all of the food out there for them ... There are times I have well over 100 birds feeding all at the same time ... I will post the pictures if i can find them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

YAC---U are lucky---watch out for the hawlks---there will B only hawlks to feed--sjb--

6. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Have you ever considered buying a few pair and turning them loose in the former habitat? I have friends that do that. They always have good spots to hunt.

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Liberated birds don't mate for some reason---we have tried all over the state---They are so dumb that the hawlks have a feast---in no time no more birds---sjb---

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Your right southjblue. We lost all our quali in a blizzard in 78'. I've tried, and tried to get them started again, but the predators have a feast.

The states that want quail should bring in wild birds from neighboring states and get them re-established. Shut the season down for 5 years and allow predator control. Coon, possum, and cats included.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The key to quail is habitat. They have to have places to hide and run away from from ground predators, and places to hide and run away from airborne predators.

There is a (very expensive) product called a surrogator. This will get more quail on your property, but you MUST have good habitat to sustain the population.

Releasing pen-raised birds just brings more predators. They're easy pickings.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

No baby quail yet but i did see a momma mallard on the canal with a a bunch of puff balls following her. Pretty entertaining. I'm hoping the wet winter and early green up will jump start the chukar population around here.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Unloader

I assume you're talking about killing predators?

Talking to wildlife biologists, the common belief that if you kill the coyotes and hawks and raccoons and opossum and snakes, etc, etc, you'll improve your quail population, is flawed. There will be another one to replace the one you killed.

Good habitat will protect the birds from the predators.

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I don't know why the quail are disappearing but something is happening to them. It isn't all habitat related or hunting related. I know that because where I live the habitat hasn't changed and the birds haven't been hunted for years. I don't know if it is excessive predation are not. I sometimes wonder if pen raised birds being introduced and breeding with the remnant wild population didn't dilute the gene pool. Something is clearly happening and it is getting worse every year. Talking about bobwhites only, don't know about the rest.

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

House cats are hell on gamebirds. Jeff

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Vitamin A increases the birds' breeding success. When the spring rains are sufficient, and there is plenty of grass (which has the vitamin A) it seemed like there were better bird populations.

I always got in the last couple weeks of quail season, hunted by Congress Junction and Aguila.

Want to do it again some day.

HM

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I know one thing for sure Tim, what ever they are doing in western KS is working pretty well for the upland birds. Some of the best numbers I have seen anywhere and that includes the Dakotas. One big plus is that you don't find the Bobs up north. Hope the nasty winter didn't do too much damage to them.

The thing that I remember was the large numbers of birds of prey that we saw also. Every little grove of trees had an owl or two and there were hawks everywhere. Plenty of foxes too. But the birds had a lot of brush to hide in and plenty of grassland to eat up.

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Where I see the biggest differences is not in the best range but in the fringe of the best range. That fringe is shrinking every year. Areas that a couple of decades ago had decent numbers of quail now have very few.

18. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Bobwhite Quail........................Whats that?Is it a new car or something?

D.P.Reynolds Maryland

19. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Here in Va we had about 6 good covey(sp) of quail. That was in the 70's. It went down to 1 covey. when we were deer hunting we always looked for the covey and came back and said I saw them. That covey started to get smaller and smaller till we have not seen them for about 8 years now. We don't even hear any either. Sad to not have them around anymore.

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

At the same time I see the number of quail shrinking every year, pheasants are expanding their range in my part of the country. I am seeing pheasants where they didn't exist a few years ago. There have never been more deer. On a typical hunt I will see more deer than rabbits now. When I was young that would have been reversed. Since the number of rabbits are down with the number of quail it does make you suspect more predation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.