1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savings not worth changing to 1-oz load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I figured out that at $37.73 per bag of chilled shot (I shoot mostly 8's), the single shot cost difference between a 1 1/8-oz load and a 1-oz load is $0.012 (one point two cents). Let's say I shoot on average six boxes per week. My savings come out to only $94 per year. I don't think it's worth the money saved.

Now if I had a flinch, that would be a different story, LOL!

LA

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Moving to one oz loads has savings are not just $. It is also recoil, and the cumulative effects of recoil. My moving to 7/8 oz was a nod to cost savings as well.

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

So if somebody walked up to you today and put a $100 bill on the table and said this is yours. All you need to do is give up a few pellets in your shot string.

Your answer is "shove it, not interested".

If that's the case why not load 1 1/4 oz loads, after all, it's only $0.012.

There is only one answer to this problem - the sport needs a mandated load for use at 16 yds to mid yardage and a mandated load back to 27.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

1 1/8oz 350 rounds per 25lbs 1oz 400 7/8oz 450?

5. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

ffwildcat,

There are some things even I won't do for money! LOL

1911: You're close: it's 355, 400, 457

LA

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Wildcat -

There is a mandated load, you can find the info in the ATA rulebook. Everyone is expected to adhere to the rules.

Scott

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Well, lets see, I've been into 1 oz since 1976, so using todays costs, that's something like $3,102 saved. Then, one could more sensibly see it as each 9th reload is a free portion of shot or 2.77 free portions of shot per box, or 11 free portions per 100 bird event; what the heck, 110 free portions per 1000 and so on. Then as macmellan points out, 50 extra loads per bag. Then as Bob_K points out, what's the price of customized shells that fit an individuals needs. Double all those savings for 7/8 oz at suitable distances which, in my case, includes at least 1/2 of all the Sporting Clays shots, even more at our local 5 stand, all my singles, all my first birds at doubles.... Thanks, but it's worth it to me.....Bob Dodd

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Trawl nets kick like that?;-).....Bob Dodd

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I kind of enjoy getting a couple extra boxes of shells from each bag of shot. What I really like is the way my 1 Oz shells shoot. Okay I'm a sissy and your a he man. Happy now?

10. nipper

nipper TS Member

if someone was actually shooting 1 1/4 ounce or more reloads at a trap compitition no one actually checks anyway do they?? unless its a suspected issue and if so, has this actually happened ??

bill

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

My calculations come out a little different . I save .37 per box so thats roughly 3 times the savings than you listed with lead cost to me at $39 per bag now . I also cut 1.3 gr of powder , 15.7 gr when I started loading my 1 oz loads . Useing reclaimed shot at $100 per 100# , the difference is about .25 from 1 oz verses 1 1/8 ?? My reclaimed 1 oz loads cost me $3.31 per box and they break targets and I`m very confident with them .

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You 1oz people are just like religious zealots- you just can't leave the others alone. You brag, you talk it up, you tell how wonderful your scores are, you want it mandated, you want the rules changed and what ever else you can think of. Shoot what you bring and shut up about it. If you can't stand the recoil - that's your problem. If you can't afford the 1/8oz - that's your problem. If you want to shoot with just one piece of shot - that's your choice. But give the preaching about it a break, you whine more about it than a puppy having to go outside. The rules state up to 1 1/8oz of shot, up to means anything below 1 1/8oz.. So load your loads and let's go shoot but just shut up about it.

Don

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Thanks for the corrective advice Big Donkey - very impressive.

14. C1

C1 Member

I don't have first hand information, however, I do not see Ricky, Leo, Kay, Ray, Daro and, oh yea that big fella from Kansas shooting one ounce shells any time soon. To quote an All American not listed above "One ounce loads - heck I'd shoot an ounce and a quarter if they would let me".

Personally I never missed a target and said "If only I was shooting an ounce load that target would have broke." I need all the pellets that they tell me I can use. Although I don't care if you use a half ounce or an ounce and until they change the rule I will use the most I can. When they change the rule I won't shoot any more because I'ts going to be real cold.

Gary Riecke

15. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

If they were too change the rule to 1 oz. almost all the best shooters would adhere. Would they be handicapped?> Hell who knows. But they would adhere to the rule. Anything less would be to their ditriment. As the wider angle target, longer yardage, etc. the 1 oz load is well overdo. But alas all those great 27 yards shooters (with 85% averages) would be offended. - Jim

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

PBB, I was just making fun. I couldn't agree more with most of your point(s).

Big Don, I don't give the south end of a rat whether others shoot what I do and never try to convince someone my way's better than theirs. The light loads are for me and when the thread refers to light loads I'll give my opinion. The same end of the rat rates my concern over changing rules to match my loads. Let's quit painting the world with one color and wide brush and just have your opinions as I can have mine. Do, breakemall....Bob Dodd

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Wolfram; Thank you for the confirmation that you are class less and that you are an Ultra Lite load.

Bob: How many threads and how many times do the same shooters(?)have to profess their love of 1 oz loads. We have more then about 7 1/2 or 8's. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but how many times do you and others have to express it.

But I guess when it comes to opinions only certain people are entitled to one.

Also watch your rat's ass as Wolfram has been eyeing it.

Don

18. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Switching to one oz. is not for savings. It is most important for recoil. Jake

19. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

For some reason, when the shooting is serious, I shoot 1 1/8oz. It's about what your comfortable with, and what ends the doubt of performance in your mind. If you shoot a full choke on 16's, you probably won't notice the diff. with 1 oz. If you shoot .020 +/-....you will, unless your very quick shooter.

20. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I always heard the bigger the better I guess that is why Hen's like me so well!!!

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/animals/?action=view&current=roho.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Foghorn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.