1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Saving Up for an 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tcouch, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcouch

tcouch Member

I moved to Kansas from Illinois about a year ago for the military. Back in Illinois we shot a lot of trap and had fun doing it. In Kansas it seems that skeet is more popular, at least where I am, and I’ve gotten to like the game. I've been using my 1100 12ga this year and I think I want to move to a 28 or 410. It seems that the 28's and 410's cost about double. From what I can tell a used 1100 will be around $900 and a new one $1100 or $1200. Before I spend that money I wanted to see if anyone has one and how they like it. Does anyone shoot skeet or sporting clays with a sub gauge 1100?

Thank you,

Tim

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

For what the 1100 28 and 410s cost today, I would look at a used over and under in a 28 gauge. I believe some one had posted a used Browning Cynergy in 28 gauge for about $1100.00. You can always have Briley make 410 ga tubes for it. In any case, a reloader is a must considering what a box of 28 ga or 410s cost. Personally I shoot an 1100 20 gauge with 3/4 oz loads for skeet. FWIW. JM

3. tcouch

tcouch Member

I considered going with an O/U, but I really like my 1100's. I currently reload and shoot 7/8oz and enjoy it.I also thought about finding an O/U in 12ga and getting a full tube set. Decisions Decisions.

4. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

You can get a used 1100 for 500 bucks. For skeet starters, get yourself a used Browning O/U skeet gun with subgage tubes for 2200 buck or so and you'll be way ahead for a long time to come. You can even shoot 5-stand or sporting with it and in a pinch, shoot trap.

5. cotrshooter

cotrshooter Member

I shoot nothing but sub gauge at skeet. I have a set of 1100 sportings. If you shop around you can find new ones for $795.00. remember it's not always about cost but more about personal preferance. The 1100 is a very good gun.

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

PM sent. JM

7. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Picking up shells is a PITA. go for a O/U.

8. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

What part of Kansas are you in? I live near Wichita and shoot at Ark Valley. We shoot skeet and trap there

9. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I agree that picking up hulls is a PITA and I have made the effort to use my Citori for skeet and my BT99 for trap for that very reason.

I was fortunate to pick up a used 1100 trap last spring (BTW, Smok'n Joe is on this board and sells some fine used guns). It had two barrels (30 inch full and 28 inch mod), a great case, and a shell catcher. It is pleasure to shoot, especially with B&P Competition One shells.

I found a used skeet barrel and gave it a trial. I'm having much more fun with this 1100 than I expected. Yes, I have to do the BENDOVER drill a lot, but I'm looking at that task as a form of exercise - keeping my youthful waistline.

I'm now using the 1100 almost exclusively - trap, skeet, and sporting clays. I'm even looking forward to trying doubles trap sometime soon. Yes, I lug around three barrels and I have to pick up hulls. Neither of those "negatives" seem near as important as they did before I bought the 1100. I'm even looking for a sub-gauge 1100. For me, the 1100 is a large part of why I'm still shooting - it's fun.

Larry

10. tcouch

tcouch Member

Its nice to see another 1100 shooter. I live in Manhattan and shoot at Ft. Riley trap and skeet range.

I was in Wichita for work last week, but couldnt make it to any ranges. I saw that Ark Valley is there but didnt have the time to stop.

Tim

11. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I found an 1100 Trap with 30" fixed full in mint condition and I love this gun. The recoil is soft and the release trigger I use for trap makes this gun deadly! I have a fixed choke 26" skeet barrel for shooting skeet and I have a blast with it.

Years ago I shot a 4 gun set of 1100's and did well with them. I weighted all the smaller guns to match the 12 ga.

Mark

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Tim,

Welcome to Kansas. Be sure to set your watch back 20 years (hee hee.)

There's also a trap range on the northwest end of Manhattan called Tuttle Creek.

I (normally) live at the far eastern part of the state.

Lots of people shoot skeet with sub gauges.

Only a few that I know of shoot sport that way, unless its a special sub-gauge event.

Tim

13. tcouch

tcouch Member

Tim,

I'm guessing you live near Ft. Leavenworth? I shoot with a guy that shot there. He said they have a fantastic league.

14. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Tim - I originally purchased a Remington 1100 Classic Trap as a "fun gun" or a "backup" to my regular trap gun. I also bought a $10 plastic shell catcher.

The 1100 really is a fun gun to shoot. It fits me, crushes targets if I do my job, and there is very little recoil. In fact, it is starting to become one of my favorites.

Some shooters on this forum have "bashed" the 1100, but for my money, I think that it is a great gun.

Good luck!

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.