1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Saving Trp Shtg III Details of Successful Shots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AA27Rutger, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AA27Rutger

AA27Rutger TS Member

The Saving Trapshooting thread had a lot of good ideas but not a lot of detail. The Saving Trapshooting II thread is pretty well settled on promotion of the sport, which may well be the most important component of saving our sport. With this tread I would like for gun clubs with successful programs for leagues, derbies, ten birds, big 50s and others to provide the details, rules, or references for their successful programs. What I notice is a lot of the energy is in the younger newer shooters. The problem then is with their lack of trigger time, they have not experienced much the historically fun part of trap shooting and so dismiss it. It would be a shame to let this knowledge die out.
    Ok folks tell us about your successful shoots and how you do it.

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

4. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

I've followed all 3 of the threads on this topic. I'm no authority on trap shooting, but I want to share some of my thoughts and views on this subject. I see registered ATA trap as a traditionalist sport. What I mean by that is, it's based on history, traditions, fundamentals, past members, and beginning roots. Todays shooters do it this way because it's the way that their great grandpa, grandpa, and fathers before them did. ATA shooters are not Elitists, they're rooted in tradition. Most any tradition is reluctant to change. About the only real change that the members have embraced is the new technology in guns and ammo components. Look at the popularity of the past shooting rep thread. There's a lot of education and history in that thread. That is information that any trap shooting purist loves and seeks out for more education and better understanding what trap shooting is all about. I believe that's why so many older folks are the base to trap shooting. Any new shooter that starts knows it's fun, but they need to be tutored on the tradition as well as the fundamentals. If you want to promote ATA shooting, promote the history, roots and it's transitions into what it is today. Trap publications need to start adding that education and photos to it's works. You can only write so much on chokes, shot size, clothing, averages, etc etc. Gun clubs need to have areas to educate old and new shooters alike. Not just the club, but trap roots.

Trap shooting is not all about registered targets. Games, meat shoots, Elks, leagues, practice(both hunting & competition), private home ranges and informal outings. As long as the club or range is generating revenue, thats a good thing. There is go organization that umbrellas all forms of trap shooting. With that said, there's no reason that the ATA or PITA cant recognize and promote all forms of trap shooting. By including other forms rather than not recognizing them would be great. They don't need to try to run other forms, but at least not ignore them. Wouldn't be nice to see the winners of a big buddy shoot on the next page as Ricky's, Phill's, Zachari's, Tron's, Deborah's or Leo's latest win.

I know it never happened, but when they formed sporting clays. I can just see guys and gals sitting around listing things they don't like about trap shooting. Lets make it as much NOT like trap as we can. Lets have different targets, different stations, targets stacked inside targets, rabbits, teal, shoot off towers, laugh, high five, poke fun at our friends when they're shooting, and count the hits rather than the misses. Thanks David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.