1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Saving primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mooner, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooner

mooner TS Member

Was wondering what the best way is to save a primer from a messed up a reload.
    Is there a specific tool to use to punch it out or is that too dangerous?

2. oz

oz Active Member

shotshell primers? just resize/punch primer out and reuse primer. oz

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use the reloader and wear glasses, never had one go off

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Use a slow and steady stroke.

Have done a few on my MECs.

If you empty out the collection tray of old primers it makes it easier to find the unused one. 8)

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I just run the junk hull through my sizer/deprimer and recover the primer from the tray. A lot of people say this is dangerous and they may be correct but I never had one go off. (knock on wood) If the cap were to go off you could theoretically get a metal fragment flying around so as always, wear safety glasses. Thats something you should do on all reloading operations.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I too have deprimed live primers on MECs over the last 35 years without an incident. I always wait until loading is done for the day and then do them when there's no powder or shot dropping. Glasses always on when reloading and a smooth soft stroke is my method and, of course, I empty the primer catch tray first so I don't have to search for the good one(s).....brekemall....Bob Dodd

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I kept my old deprimer from when I had a 600 Jr. lots of years ago befor the squeeze resizer. It's quicker than using the deprimer on your mec resizer machine. Sometimes they are available on EBay

8. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

As a former safety manager (retired), the risk is not worth it. Two and one half cents is not worth risking injury. Sooner or later an accident will occur. Darrell

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

BT-100dc...please tell me how a primer can go off when your depriming pin is pushing against the top of the primer. It is nowhere near the sensitive end of the primer. I seriously doublt a cou-ple of inch drop into the spent primer cup is enough to set it off!

10. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I've got a bunch of once fired primers, if anybody wants them :)

11. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

yes-racer...I re-use my old primers...they make great gravel!

12. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I have a Lee load all, single stage that I use to de prime live hulls-after I cut them in half and empty out the contents first. Works great.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jim, you are of course correct about the risk/benefit ratio here. One trip to the ER to get some frags pulled out of your face will cost more than a couple of sleaves of primers. And yet I just can't bring myself to let the few dud shells go without making a play for the primers .... madness I tell you

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

I hate to admit that I have driven many times in my life with a bit too much alcohol in me. I have been very lucky and never had an accident.

I suppose I could conclude that drinking and driving is safe for me.

Now, if you MUST save those $.03, at least put on safety glasses.

I get so few hulls to reclaim that I just pitch them after saving the shot and wad. One of the many benefits I realized when I gave up on the MEC9000G that I had the misfortune to own before buying a real reloader.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.