1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

save $$$ on primers, Acme 200D

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by letts, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. letts

letts TS Member

I have the directions for an old Acme shot shell loader. The most interesting feature of the model 200D tool is its arangement for using only primer caps instead of complete shot shell primers. " The model 200D uses a narrow decapping pin like that for rifle & pistol primers, which acts on only the anvil, not the whole battery cup. the pin is adjusted to push out the the anvil only so far that the fired cap drops off. with a small hand tool furnished, the anvil is then pushed down into place again, with care taken against letting it fall to the side as that would cause a misfire. The new cap then set into place as in metalic cartridgs." The directions add that with shotshell caps costing twice as much as rifle or pistol caps this is quite a saving. it also state the price of #57 caps as being $8.75 per thousand.

If any one is really serious about cutting reloading costs they just need some old equipment added to the bench.

The directions are dated 1958. Maybe things have changed.
    Letts

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

the only problem is there are many metallic reloaders that wish they could shove a 209 in their brass due to the cost and supply (or lack thereof) of pistol and rifle primers right now.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Somewhere in my pile I have a thousand of these caps. They are CCI 209 size.

i have looked for them but they want to stay here with me so they hide.

HM

4. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Letts,
    I have been researching this idea for several months. But due to the large amount of dimensional internal height variation from manufacturer to manufacturer of primers, The new primer may not have a ledge to firmly seat against...not good design!!!And could you imagine the number of misfires?? With centerfire primers selling for $40.00/thousand at the Camp Perry DCM shoot two weeks ago, and Remington primers selling at $33.00/thousand, the idea has lost my interest!!
    Respectfully submitted,
    Jet Boat Bill
    P.S. Remington 209 STS primers have surfaced again on the East Coast. Urb Womer had some for sale at the Pathfinder shoot this past weekend in Fulton, NY

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you have an early '60s Herters Catalog...they sold a tool specifically for this job. That was back in the days when rifle and pistol primers were 1/2 the price of shotgun primers.

It was someting to do on those cold winter days to avoid cabin fever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.