1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Save Money on Shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many have complained about the current cost of shot, but we continue to wast much of the shot we use. Yesterday, I shot 300 targets and only broke 279 of them. Each target was shot with 1 1/8 oz shells and that shot was wasted on the 21 targets I missed. That means I threw away 7% of the shot I brought to the club in my shells. If I waste that much of my shot it seems illogical for me to complain about the cost of the shot?

Pat Ireland

2. washandwear

washandwear Member

Pat

I also had same experience 279/300 Sunday. However each target
    was shot with 7/8 oz not 1 1/8oz saving 4.6 pounds of lead. But like
    you I wasted 7% of the shot but 7% of 16.6 pounds not 21.1
    pounds.

Hdcp score from 24 yds 24, 25, 19, 25 - now that is illogical!!!

Regards

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Taking that to our illogical conclusion - if one just visualizes a 300 bird day, imagine the smile on your face as you break bird after bird, 300x300 for the 1st time and your wallet thanks you for not making it lighter!

You both had an extraordinary day!

Jay

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

rev- I am not sure your idea would work. There would be many ties and in the shoot off, each shooter would have to shoot 2 1/2 targets and multiply that number by 10. And, in a 10 bird shoot, if I missed one target, I would have wasted 10% of my shot. Yesterday, in the 300 birds I shot, I only wasted 7%.

Pat Ireland

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Mr. Ireland must be on some powerful medication.

In any case, it is only by "wasting shot" that one can become proficient and shoot perfect scores - thus not wasting this precious resource. It is a Catch-22.

Don

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Pat
    I would also like to suggest that we reduce our shot loads to 20 pellets. Since even the best of us will usually only hit the bird with about 10 #8 shot on a well centered hit we are wasting over 400 shot on every bird not just the misses. 20 pellets should allow extra just in case. The savings would be dramatic what with reductions in powder as well. we could shoot all year on 2 bags of shot. ;o)
    --- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.