1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Save-It shell catcher

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wayneo, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I see Birchwood Casey is selling the Peterson Save-It shell catcher. Anybody ever use one? Any opinions on them or other shell catchers for an 1100 Trap. Thanks, Wayne

2. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

T&S makes very good catchers

3. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I use a Birchwood Casey "Save It" on the 1100 Classic Trap I bought new in Dec, 2005.

I have had a long history with the basic type which as noted is an update of the Pedersen Save It.

My wife shot trap from 1987 to 1997, her favorite gun; an 1100TA Trap. She used a Petersen and put about 40,000 rounds through the gun with that catcher. She liked it so well, she had one on her 1100 sporting 28 (Petersen's used to be made in the small gauges) and 11-87 Sporting Clays; and they performed well.

I certainly did not select a Save It because of its good looks, I find them very functional.

I like them over the TS because in my experience, they work better. I have never had one fail to grab a shell, where I have seen numerous people have to furiously shake a fired shell out of a TS equipped gun because it fell back in the receiver. I don't need that on the line.

It can be folded down to easily drop a live shell out if there is a need to unload due to a problem on the line.

One thing I do right away with these, though. They come with a funny looking red, soft plastic tip on the wire that is supposed to keep the end of the wire from scratching the receiver, just behind the ejector port. These come off too easily with bad results. Fortunatley I was aware of this and did not find out with the new 1100CT.

I take a piece of insulated house elecrical wiring, I forget the size . I use wire strippers to take a 1/2" long piece of black wire insulation which I slip over the end of the wire. It hangs on and because it is black, IMHO, looks better.

I did this on my wife's 1100TA in 1988 and it hung in very well, I think I replaced it once in 40,000 rounds.

The two sided tape hat comes with the Brirchwood Casey is pron to degrading with oil. I use the two sided automotive trim tape, the stuff that is as thin as the original Birchwood Casey tape. It doesn't damage the bluing in any way and can be removed with gun solvent.

As for marking the receiver, the TS will leave marks, over time, where it clips on at the ejector port and at the bottom of the receiver, near the loading port. The Birchwood Casey pins the shell between it's spring wire and the bottom edge of the ejector port which polishes the bluing off, you don't see this when viewing the gun from the side though. I would rather not have any wear but prefer the wear pattern on the Birchwood Casey.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0256.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> I have one on my wifes browning gold sporting clays. AFTER I installed a TS that fit poorly on the Gold sporting moved alot and scratched the reciever. Rem870 points out what you will notice. The tape will come loose if you are heavy around it with cleaner and oil. 3M brand double sided tape for automotive use does last longer. I give my gold a total cleaning once a year and re tape regardless of condition. One thing the browning gold has a strong hull chucker. When useing AA super handicap or Nitro sporting clays they tend to slip by the wire. I love it works great and folds out of the way quickly. It is easy to bend cut and modify if needed. PS I did contact T&S about the fit of the TS catcher for my gold, apparently there was a reciever change and the catcher had less to grab on to. They did send me a free new one. I gave it to another shooter.

5. kysmith

kysmith TS Member

Love mine on my 1100, seemed like this past weekend though that Rio paper hulls wanted to slip on through, hardly caught any of them, even after bending it several times.

6. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I have two Save-It catchers in action on my boys two SX-1's. They may not catch every shell, but you will not hit your friend (or their gun) to your right. Take'em off, clean the area, and you will never know they have been on the gun.

7. turbobike

turbobike Member

Are you guys kidding? They are the saddest example of engineering i've seen. They catch maybe 2 out of 5 fired rounds. Save your money. Get somebody to install an internal SS wire catcher or have a gun smith install an ejector/deflector pin that throws the empties forwards on the ground. Why do you think Peterson quick making them.....

8. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"Are you guys kidding?"

Not at all.

In the last 10,000, or so, rounds, I can't recall mine failing to catch a fired shell.

9. Team Benelli/Beretta

Team Benelli/Beretta TS Member

I bought like 10 of them for our highschool trap program and like 3 of them for my benelli's i bought and they dont make shell catchers for benlli's so i had to get these and absolutely love them. they work excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning maxus shell catcher

how does save- it shell catcher work

peterson save it shell catcher

peterson save-it shell catcher
peterson shell catchers
save it shell catcher
shell catcher for browning maxus
shell catcher for maxus