1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Save-It Shell Catcher

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KiloMike, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KiloMike

KiloMike TS Member

Anybody ever use the Save-It Shell Catcher? I am specifically wondering about the "semi-permanent" adhesive. Does it do any damage to the receiver? How do you go about removing it when you decide to do so? If I need to I guess I can just use a rubber band, but I'm looking at options. Anyone hear of a catcher made specifically for the Super X2?

Thanks

Kevin

2. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Yes, I do and have some long term experieance with them;

I use a Birchwood Casey "Save It" on the 1100 Classic Trap I bought new in Dec, 2005.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/accessories_index.asp?categoryID=8&subcat=29&prodcat=129

I have had a long history with the basic type which is an update of the Pedersen Save It.

My wife shot trap from 1987 to 1997, her favorite gun; an 1100TA Trap. She used a Pedersen and put about 40,000 rounds through the gun with that catcher. She liked it so well, she had one on her 1100 sporting 28 (Petersen's used to be made in the small gauges) and 11-87 Sporting Clays; and they performed well.

I certainly did not select a Save It because of its good looks, I find them very functional. and reliable.

I like them over the TS because in my experience, they work better. I have never had one fail to grab a shell, where I have seen numerous people have to furiously shake a fired shell out of a TS equipped gun because it fell back in the receiver. I don't need that on the line.

It can be folded down to easily drop a live shell out if there is a need to unload due to a problem on the line.

One thing I do right away with these, though. They come with a funny looking red, soft plastic tip on the wire that is supposed to keep the end of the wire from scratching the receiver, just behind the ejector port. These come off too easily with bad results. Fortunatley I was aware of this and did not find out with the new 1100CT.

I take a piece of insulated house elecrical wiring, I forget the size . I use wire strippers to take a 1/2" long piece of black wire insulation which I slip over the end of the wire. It hangs on and because it is black, IMHO, looks better.

I did this on my wife's 1100TA in 1988 and it hung in very well, I think I replaced it once in 40,000 rounds.

We have not had the adheasive damage blued finish in any way. The adheasive does get degraded by gun oil. I replace mine with two sided automotive trim tape as required.

I like them and I don't get a commission for trying to sell them, either.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

KiloMike,

Nothing specific for the X2. I tried one for a Browning Gold(Very similar gun) and wouldn't let the bolt close home. The T&S catcher will work, but sometimes you'll have to bend the wire a bit to fine tune its catching ability.

ec90t

4. KiloMike

KiloMike TS Member

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

ec90t, In an older thread someone (actually several people) said that the T&S catcher wouldn't work on the SX2 because the receiver was different. Don't you have to get it drilled? I've only had mine a week... not willing to do that!!! :)

Kevin

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

The T&S shell catcher for the Browning Gold will NOT work on an X2 as the bolts are different. Yes, it will snap on an X2, but the bolt will not close. Tom Morton is making one for the X1 & X2. Check out his products @ tommortonandcompany.com

Andy

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

KiloMike,

I'm sorry, I was refering to the Birchwood/Casey stick on and got myself confused. I used my SX-2 for both sporting and games. I'd just remove the wire when I shot sporting.

ec90t

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Catch All works great. I tried the TS catcher on my gold sporting wouldnt stay put and broke early. Also scratched my reciever. Only issue I had with Birchwood wont hold remington nitro 27 sporting clays load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.