1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Save, email, etc

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by recurvyarcher, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Pullll, to copy an URL, right-click on it, select "Properties", and then highlight the URL in that window. The right click on the highlighted text and secect "copy".

Now you can paste it into an email.

To learn Windows XP, click on the Start menu on your lower left hand side of the screen, and select "Help and Support". You will find a tutorial among the list of choices.

2. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

You can also highlight text by simply placing your cursor at one end of the line you wish to copy. Depress and hold the left mouse button while you move the cursor over the text you want. When you reach the end simply release the mouse button, back the cursor over the highlighted text and right-click to generate a context menu. Select and left-click on "Copy" and you've captured the text to paste to an email.

You can highlight multiple lines buy simply moving over what you want while holding the left mouse button depressed.

Andy Moreland

3. recurvyarcher

Andy, sometimes that is difficult when trying to highlight an URL, though, especially for noobs. If you touch any part of the text with the cursor, the URL gets selected instead of copied.

Try to remember what it was like when you first started.

4. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

"Try to remember what it was like when you first started."

That's a little tough...

I started programming computers in 1965. With a little practice, the click-and-drag is still the most efficient way to highlight segments of text, and the poster did ask for several explanations.

Andy Moreland

5. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

If you just want to copy the URL, you just right click on the URL and select Copy. If you are copying text, it's best to learn to highlight and copy.

Just my .02 since all I do is copy and paste all day.

Luvn

6. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

How do you set a highlighted reference to a URL? For instance, some people leave a highlighted "Click Here" in an email and when you click on it it goes to a URL that it's tied to. It's a lot shorter than some of the really long URLs. How do they do it?

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Pull also another thing I do a lot is if I just want to save text or url's and not really email them right now then I will copy and paste them into the [Note Pad] program that should be listed under the All Programs ,Accessories list from the start button at the bottom.

Then I will save the text as whatever I want to call it that way I can go back to it later if I want.

Foggy

8. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

"How do you set a highlighted reference to a URL? For instance, some people leave a highlighted "Click Here" in an email and when you click on it it goes to a URL that it's tied to. It's a lot shorter than some of the really long URLs. How do they do it?"

Many email clients (programs) allow a message to be composed in 2 ways: simple text and formatted text. Simple text is just words, no style. Formatted text allows the use of style features like underlining, italics, color etc. The creation of a link may be one of the styles features offered. The link is created by simply selecting an icon and including the necessary information. Some people who know elementary coding language can create a link in an email by writing a simple computer code. The one drawback to formatted or coded text is that it can be read only by a recipient who has their own email client set to decode the formatting and display it properly.

Andy Moreland

9. recurvyarcher

First ensure the Format of your email is HTML. Verify by finding your FORMAT option in whatever email program that you are using, and select HTML. Sometimes that's all you need to do. In Outlook, if you are using HTML formatting, the program automatically recognizes that you are writing "www" or ".com" and will turn your text into a link as soon as you hit the SPACE or RETURN button.

Otherwise:

1. Highlight the item that needs a link.

2. Find on your pul-down menu, find where you can select something like "Insert" and select ‘Hyperlink’, or "create Hyperlink" or whatever. Different email programs will be different, but you can figure it out.

The key is to make sure that your format for the email is set to HTML, as Andy said above.

Also, Luvn, I like your explanation of selecting text above the best, and I do that when possible, too. It won't work if someone sends you something that is not HTML-formatted, though.

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Andy, Here is a link that will show you how to put a link in Outlook Express.

Link!

Hope this helps......

Hauxfan!

11. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Recurvy,

I highlight and copy text all the time, html, ascii, rich text formats. Doesn't matter. It's not always pretty unless it's html, but it still copies and pastes.
    PDF's, now that is a different animal. Although they did add a function in the latest acrobat reader that selects text.

Luvn

12. recurvyarcher

Luvn, if it's not a hyperlink, it won't copy with a single right click, it has to be highlighted first. When I am trying to help someone who is obviously completely new at the computer stuff, I try to go back to the extreme basics so that they don't get discouraged. I'm pretty sure that Pullll has very little experience.

Pullll, if the text on the link is in a different color, that usually means that it is already a hyperlink, and you can just right click on it, like Luvn said. Luvn's is the best and easiest way. But if somebody sends you something that is in simple text in an email, and it like this:

www.trapshooters.com (you cannot click on this text and go to the homepage)

(and you cannot right-click on it to copy), then you must use the steps in the instructions that Andy posted for copying, and then use the explanations for pasting and linking that everyone here has provided for you.

Hope we have been of help to you.

13. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Recurvy,

I think you and I are talking about two different things. When I said right click to highlight I was talking about URL's because the original post mentioned URL's. When I right click a URL in the address bar it highlights the URL and then I copy and paste.

I am not talking about flat text in an email or document. That needs to be highlighted.

Luvn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.