1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SAVE A RABBIT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Where are the Moderators when you need them?

HM

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, we had field trial beagles. Boy, they could bring a rabbit back to where you jumped it. They were bred for nose, mouth, and NOT speed. A fast dog will force a rabbit into a hole.

I had an OLD Winchester M-42 28" MOD 410. Those old 3" paper shells weren't much good past 25 yards.

Not only have I eaten a LOT of rabbit, but many times, my Dad and I would sit on a stump or log and just listen to the hounds baying. That was a long time ago, I miss the dogs and those times with my Dad. He is still with us, but has advanced Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home.

3. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

When I was a kid times were tough.Hang rabbits on the clothes to freeze in the winter.Wanted rabbit, go get one off the clothes line.

We ate so many rabbits,when the dogs barked us kids ran under the front porch
    to hide.

Bo

4. folothru

folothru Member

my dad used to sell rabbit hides to local tannery, the dog he had would lay around on the back porch until he would put a skinning board outside ,the dog would look at the board get up and start huntin for a rabbit.
    well one day my mom was cleaning house and set an ironing board on the porch,the dog looked at it ,let out a yelp .havent seen the dog since

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Nothing like watching a beagle tracking a rabbit. It is one of the few things I really enjoy doing anymore. I enjoy taking the dog out into the field and just watch her run. Good clean cheap fun, no body bitching like they do at the gun club. The dog just wants to chase rabbits and a pat on the back after she has entertained me for the day.

I don't shoot the rabbits anymore, the enjoyment is in the chase. When I did hunt my dog could tell the difference between my trap gun and the 870 I use to hunt. Get the trap gun out and the dog would just lay on the couch, now if I get the 870 out she raises all kinds of hell. She thinks we are going hunting.

6. saluki68

saluki68 TS Member

My Grandmother loved rabbit and part of the deal when quail hunting on the farm was to shoot her one. If my Dad was along we had to do this when the bird dogs (pointers) were way out front (he had a fit if we popped a rabbit around the dogs). A long time ago; Grandma sold the farm to the coal mines in about 1970. Tom

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

saluki68, you attend college in southern Il?

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I have cooked cotton tails that we shot in South Dakota in the same pan as the pheasants (All the meat filleted from the bone) and nobody could tell the difference. Rabbit is excellent to eat. Jake

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I love rabbit, it taste a lot like housecat. Mmmm Yummyyyy. When I was a kid we chased swamp rabbits with a beagle and lad lots of good times. Love to still do it, just not many rabbits around here anymore. Too many fireants.

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I haven't, but I bet that it would work. I like em fried, with gravy. mmmmmmm

11. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Hasenpeffer? Spelling? Love it. When I was Kid we didn't have much money but grandpa's farm ahd lots of rabbits. Young ones fried like chicken were really good. Make some gravy and mashed taters. MMMMM good.
    Mike

12. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I prefer Rabbit Pot Pies than I do fried rabbit . Even mixed some pheasant with it . Delicious . Boil the meat till tender then add canned mixed veggies and a can of cellery or asparagass soup and bake !!!!

13. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

I know this is O/T and i"ll take the bait but have gotten into rabbit hunting again in the last five years with my local buddys and killed 85 this year in KY with my buddy's 4 dog pack.

Rabbit's do come back around but I'll put the field sport against orange targets any day. Lot's of good exercise, the beauty of the dogs and the chance to pop a cap at a worthy target and some mighty good eating.

We limit scatterguns to 20 Guage max for a little extra sport and try to headshoot whenever possible.

Some of our guys like to fillet all rabbit off the bone but I prefer it on the bone, fried, to better serve the milk gravy!

Eddie Quire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.