1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage99Stan

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Texshooter, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Savage99Stan, just thought you would like my new gun and it's scope mount. The Alaskan scope is excellent. This thing really shoots well. AJ
    [​IMG]

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The best lever action ever made in my opinion. Very smooooooth.

3. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I have one with the Brass(Bronze) cartridge counter on the side, and a flip on/off scope. Great deer rifle, and the 300 Savage is a great whitetail cartridge that I use for whitetails hunting.

4. old tex

old tex TS Member

Andy: I killed my 1st deer w/one just like it in 1954 - I bought it from his widow many years later and it is in my "keeper" collection!!

I admire your taste and judgement (also like the SS you showed - if I didn't already have one I'd jump on that bargain!!)

uncle Dick

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

That is a sweet lever gun...I love them all...my all time favorite is my '71 Winchester

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

You are now one of the smartest folks around...owner of a traditional lever action that has strength, accuracy, grace and survivability. Just picked up a mag on the newstand about lever guns and it has a good article on the 99.

I'm still dreaming of finding a takedown in 30-30 for a song.

My 336 and two 94's stay home most of the time.

What caliber is yours? My latest is .308 and it shoots right along with my 77 Ruger. Love that mount. I have an old Weaver swing over on mine and I have to remember to make sure it is latched down tight before shooting if I want good groups.

7. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Thanks, mine is a 300 Sav made ~1940's. The Stith scope mount and scope are worth more than the gun. I really want a 7-08, but so does every collector. AJ
    [​IMG]

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

the 99 savage was and is way ahead of its time

9. Bob M

Bob M Member

I have been struggling with a stubborn Ruger 96 lever action. The Ruger is minute of barn door accurate with 3 shot groups of 2 inches at 50 yards.

I took it to the range along with the Savage 99 take-down that has been in the family since 1927. It is a 303 Savage. I make cases from 220 Swift brass. It has the brass cartridge counter and I had it drilled and tapped a few years ago. The old girl dropped 5 shots into 1/2 inch at 50 yards.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've got a couple of those wonderful guns that get out from time to time. One is chambered in 250/3000 the other in 300 savage. They both have peep sights, as I can't bring myself to drill and tap for a scope. I believe that both of mine are EG models, but I may be mistaken. I just wish that silly safety/ lever lock was better designed.

I still think it's a viable enough design to sell in todays market as long as it still retains the originals rotary magazine instead of the later model box magazine.

ss

11. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

SS you might notice that that Stith scope mount I have doesn't require drilling any holes. They have been hard to find, but with the economy, people are selling off old gun parts. The 1" mount will fit a Leupold VX-3 Rifle Scope 1.5-5x onto your old Savage with no loss of value. AJ

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Thanks Tex'. I see now that the front mount is in the sight dovetail. I take it they are clearanced underneath for the cocking indicator pin?

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one.

ss