1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage vs. Remington for traditional deer rifle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Colonel Reb, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I was in Bass Pro Shops today and they had some nice looking Savage rifles on the rack. The wood actually looked good. How does Savage compare to Remington as far as the traditional .30-06 deer rifle goes, as far as fit, finish, materials, workmanship, and price?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

They are very accurate, good gun for the money

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like the feel of a Remington 700 but the Savage 110 is a fine rifle. In 30-06 with a Leupold 3 x 9 or similar scope, you have an excellent deer killing rifle.

I purchased a Remington 700 VTR in .308 Winchester about 3 months ago and it is a joy to carry and shoot. I put a Burris 4.5 x 14 AO scope on it and it shoots sub MOA at 100 and close to MOA at 200 yards. The VTR stands for varmint and tactical and it has a 22" barrel with an integral compensator to reduce recoil. It has an all weather stock and parkerized finish on the metal.

For deer, I used a 700 BDL in 30-06 for about 30 years with a Leupold 3 x 9 AO scope but would have loved to have had the 700 VTR back when I started deer hunting.

Either the Savage or the Remington will get the job done.

If you hunt mainly woods, a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington is a good choice. I used the .35 for short range and the 30-06 for long range. At close range, the .35 Remington with a 200 grain bullet is a real stopper.

Ed Ward

4. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

For dollar spent the Savage has the edge. Although I have several Rem 700's the new ones are not the same, the matte blue and stainless matte finishes are horrible looking and easily rust.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The Remington Model 700 has been the standard for production rifles for years but the Savage family of bolt-action rifles have closed the gap tremendously.

Their rifles have become better looking and better built. They were first with a "good" trigger in their AccuTrigger when every other maker fitted heavy, creepy "liability" triggers. And their easily changeable barrels and modular bolts give them a flexibility that Remington cannot match.

A rifle shooting buddy of mine has a Model 111 Savage. One day about two weeks ago, we shot from adjacent benches at the local club and I watched him print a three-shot cloverleaf group at 100 yards with a sporter-weight 6.5mm-06 barrel. Fifteen minutes later, he had converted his rifle to a .25-06 sporter and proceeded to shoot another tiny group. Finally, he changed barrels again and this time bolt faces so he could shoot yet another cloverleaf with 6mm-284 ammo. A barrel nut wrench and some headspace gauges are all you need once the barreled action is out of the stock.

Last fall, I bought our daughter an inexpensive Savage Model 11 "package rifle" in .243 Win with a synthetic stock and a very cheap 3-9x scope that cannot be focused properly - either the reticle or the target can be clear but not both. Although not a tack-driver (no rifle with such a scope could be), it shoots five rounds of just about any ammo into an inch and a half OR LESS with complete regularity.

I own a dozen Model 700s but a Savage could very easily be my next rifle.

Ed

6. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I'll second that on the Savage accu trigger. Ive got the Savage 10ML the best front end loader out there in my opinion.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Remington USED to have a better bolt action rifle than Savage. But Remington slacked off, and problems like bent barrels and chronic bolt handle breakage continue to happen. Having said that, if you get a good Remington, it may well outperform the Savage. If you get an average Remington, you've just spent more money and got less performance.<br>
    <br>
    The Savage, on the other hand, is a real sleeper. They have accuracy all out of proportion to their cost, and Savage has made inroads against Remington for quality and accuracy. I bought my son the new Predator Hunter in 223 for his high school graduation present. Excellent quality and accuracy. I'm thinking about one of these in 22-250 or 243, though I'm waiting to see if a 308 might be in the works.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Savage Predator is an excellent choice, as is the Remington VTR. The port job is very neat, and holds recoil down nicely.

Killing deer with a 30-06 is like swatting flies with a sledgehammer.

I use a 308 or a 257 Roberts.

The barrel change scenario above is what has me going on Savage, as soon as i find a beater it will become a .20 Vartarg. I also have a LRPV in 22-250 that equals or beats my Remmy dog guns for accuracy.

There was some pretty bad stuff from Savage a decade or so ago but the market, and the Accutrigger has changed all that.

HM

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Savages are made right here is the good old USA. They offer the shooter the flexibility to change calibers if they so desire without gunsmith intervention with some simple hand tools. If you can reload shotgun shells, you have the technical ability to change a barrel on a savage. They have a platform for every pocket book. Different stock design, wood grades, finishes and triggers offer the shooter a lot of choices for the price. The new model 114's have super nice wood on them which is a nice change from Savage. I currently own 13 Savage bolt guns in 204 Ruger, 223 rem, 22-250, 243 Win, 2 in 270 Win one blued and one stainless, 7 mm Rem Mag, 2 in 308 Win, 30-06, 30-06 Ackley Imp, 300 Win Mag, and 338 Win Mag. I own one Remington 700 BDL in 270 Win. My older model 700 LH BDL was manufactured prior to the lawyers getting ahold of the trigger. I have it adjusted to just over a 2 1/2 pound pull. The new Savage Accutrigger is safer and while not quite as crisp as the old Remington, it is a good compromise combining both safety and shootability. I do fit my older savages with either Rifle basix or Timney aftermarket triggers as their early models had some really gritty tough triggers. If you watch either Auction Arms or Gunbroker.com, you should be able to find a Savage at a very reasonable price. There are a ton of these guns out there in varying stages of used. All of my Savages except for the 223 were bought used. I have 4 stainless and 9 blued. The most I paid for a used blued model was $229 delivered. The stainless models used were $335 on the top end. If you shop around, there are some great deals out there. If you have any questions on Savages, drop me a PM or check out the Savage shooters website I put at the top. TONS of useful info from people who own and shoot Savages.

Jeff

Oops. Recounted. I have 14. Forgor about the 338-06. My wife still does not understand why I could possibly need a new safe.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I read an extensive article comparing the Rem, Savage, and Winchester rifles, perhaps 3 years ago. It was an extensive test of all considerations and the Savage won the cigar at the far end. It's certainly the direction I'd look were I in the market....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I am another Savage owner of 2 FP10 tacticle rifles in .223 I use strictly for varminting. I have owned all the name brand guns & none has ever came close to the accuracy of these rigs. I sold the other varmint guns from Ruger & remington and have not looked back.

12. atashooter

atashooter Member

Savage 110 & 111 Excellent combo for the money. Accurate and durable as hell.

13. Landshark

Landshark Member

Savage and Remmy owner here. My Savages (.204, 30.06, and a semi-custom 6BR Norma) are very accurate guns. The custom barreled 6BR is scary accurate at 100-200 yards. My fav is the .204 Ruger package rifle that I paid $399 for. I ditched the scope and put a Bushnell 3200 on it and it's a yote's worst nightmare.

My Rem is an XR 100 in .308 Win. This rifle (bone stock) shoots in the .3XX and the occasional .2XX 5 shot groups with Rem Match Ammo.

For the money a Savage in .308 with a decent scope is the ideal rifle for price and value.

14. bacon

bacon TS Member

Had Savage 110C and Remington both left hand in 270 cal. savage was best of the to in everything but looks.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My new Savage is very handsome..beautiful high polish blue..laminated thumbhole stock with a removeable box mag and fitted with a Burris 3x9...its a 243Win thats deadly with any load and made a great account of itself in Texas on whitetail, hogs and Yotes ..some shots on the yodel dogs were over 400yds...after shooting the accu-trigger I can't imagine shooting precise long range without one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
remington whitetail pro rifle verses savage axis 2
savage 308 at bass pros
savage rifle vs remington rifle
savage rifles at bass pro shop

savage vs remington rifles