1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Savage Varmint rifle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bob31, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob31

bob31 TS Member

Does anyone have an opinion on the Savage 12abt 22-250 varmint rifle? Good Bad? Better or not as good shooting as a remington?

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Have not tried one but am quite happy with my .17hmr Savage..bull barrel, synthetic stock, accutrigger. Calm day equals sub one inch at 100 yards. Tried it on coyote last winter and not enough gun. I have owned several Savage products, mostly combo guns, and never could complain about accuracy...just mostly lousy triggers. Have a 99 in 308 that has good trigger and pretty good accuracy. Had a 112V varminter in 22-250 that would do five shot little fingernail sized groups. Should have kept it. If this has the accutrigger, and you can get it for a fair price, it will do you fine, in my opinion.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

When it comes to out of the box accurate guns it is hard to beat the bolt action Savages. Today's M700 Remingtons generally don't shoot as well as the Savages. I'm a big fan of the M700 too (or use to be).

My only reservation about the Savage guns is that they won't win any beauty pagents. That is not a requirement for a serious varmint gun though. You won't get a better value than a Savage or a better shooter for even twice the price.

One really neat thing about the Savage 110 design is that you can easily rebarrel them and even change bolt heads (other rim dimensions). That is important because the .22-250 burns up barrels pretty fast.

4. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

You can't go wrong with a Savage. I have a 22-250 and a 223. Both are Varmint models and both are exceptional shooters. They may not look great but they are the best "BANG" for the buck...............Roger

5. 5spd

5spd TS Member

It walks all over the Rugers, Remingtons & Winchester & many other name brand & custom varmint guns.
    I have 3 Savage Varmint guns, nothing better out of the box, & 100x more accurate with good handloads & a decent scope. I have never had a problem whatsoever with any of my Savage guns either.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a LRPV in 22-250 and am very happy with it. They now have a twist option, 9 or 14 I believe, I only could get 9.

Shoots 55 grain Ballistic tips into the 3's with no sweat. You have to be a grain or so under max, though with this one.

34.5 of 4895 is just dandy. Now working on heavy bullet long range loads.

They are user friendly if you want to replace worn out barrels, no gunsmith needed. You can even change the bolt head if you want to go to a different caliber that has another diameter.

I plan on keeping this gun a long time.

HM

7. bob31

bob31 TS Member

Thanks guys you have helped me make my decision...Savage it is :)

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]<br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    Posted this before. My son Sean has a Savage Predator Hunter in 223. He called his shot - said he was going to put it behind this coyotes ear, and did just that... at 175 yards on a trotting coyote. Yeah, I'd say Savages are up to the task.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I recall an article comparing the Winchester, Remington, and Savage rifles maybe 3 years ago, American Rifleman, and it was the Savage that went home with the honors.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

When our Army and Marines were looking for a ultra accurate sniper rifle (M24, M40) the bids went out and only Remington could deliver the rifle. Can still hold 1/2 minute of angle after 1,000's of rounds.

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I have a Savage single shot, laminated (wood looking) stock in .220 Swift. Shoots (or did, I dunno how worn it is now) 1/2 groups with V-max handloads at 55 grains all day long. Got me lots of ground squirrels on a ranch. Great gun, and I think they look kinda cool. The ones with the plastic stocks don't appear to work as well. A friend with a .223 Savage has had similiar customer satisfaction as I have..his a laminated stock. The .223 seems to hold up much better re. barrel life. Great company, neat guns, kinda rough actions in trigger group, but I replaced my trigger with aftermarket. Haven't varmint shot in years; "into trap" more, but hope to find time to punch paper again in the future.

I like the Swift over the 22-250 cause the case will stand up to higher pressures, just gives a tad more. The Swift is a throughbred built for one purpose only; to get out and keep a flat trajectory with a small bore. But ya pays in barrel life. I always used Varget powder and V-Max bullets and did the case prep thing; trim carefully, champher the neck, and de-bur flash holes, and used match grade primers and a Dillon press. Worked fine. Scope is a 6.5-20 Leupold.

I also have a 6mm Remington by Remington that fortunately turned out to be a great shooter with a pillar bedded stock. All guns shoot well enough to hit six inch long squirrels all day at 300 yards. That's good enough considering the barrels get big time fouled in the field..and they keep knocking them down at 300 yards on a good 200-300 round day.

12. chuckles

chuckles Member

I have a Scoped Savage 11F in 22-250, Accu-Trigger, came into it cheap $200.00...

The bolt action is sticky, not very smooth, maybe because it is new, less than 500 rounds thru it.

100yds I can shoot 3 shots in 1/2" ragged holes consistently...

I haven't been to the 200 yet...

it outshoots my 223 Tikka and I'v got near $1000 in that gun with a scope.
    Bolt action smooth as glass...

I shoot store bought ammo, targets only...

Savage is a Hunter model, doesn't look like much but it is a shooter for sure....

regards

13. TOOLMAKER 251

Savage has a new tactical rifle in their lineup of firearms built on the ar platform. They do listen to their customers.

14. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jack Harris of Ohio built me two Savage varmint guns in 204 Ruger last year. Both guns will shoot ragged holes with my reloads and under 1" with factory stuff. Douglas barrels, Marksman triggers and Leupold VXIII 6-24 scopes. Talk about a rifle that will reach out and touch. Got to have 2 so one can cool off while making the red mist with the other one on p-dogs.

I shot one group on a real calm morning with my reloads 2.2 inches for 5 shots at 300 yards! Awesome for a duffer like me.

Bob

15. Rick173

Rick173 TS Member

NO one has addressed the 12 abt. It is a mod 12 action with a heavy fluted barrel in a Boyd's stock. If you look in a Savage catolog you will not find the gun. I called a dealer that listed this gun and that is what he told me. I was lucky I stopped in a local gun shop and they had two of them one in 204 the other in 308. They gun in my opinion is the nicest looking gun I've ever seen. When I picked up it felt pretty heavy for me that is good. I was disappointed in the stock it was a little rough especially around the cut outs but that was not enough to change my mind. I'll be getting one in a 204 right now I am trying to make a decision on what scope to put on it in the 3 to 4 hundred dollar range. Burris Nikon and Bushnell are what I have narrowed it too. I am open to suggestion.
    Good luck and shoot well
    Rick Shoop PA

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have the Nikon Monarch 6-24SF on mine. Get the fine crosshairs, you won't be unhappy.

Instead of all the mildot fuss, make a drop chart for your load and dial to your target.

The FCH reticle leaves you a clear view for scanning and finding the little buggers.

And use the burris rings with the insert. Won't mess up your scope, and the inserts can be changed for more elevation should you want to shoot at extreme ranges.

I messed around for a year before coming to these conclusions. This was my 5th dog rifle, and I love it. When my 223's wear out I will get another in that claiber.

HM

17. peanut gallery

peanut gallery TS Member

leupold is the scope to go with I have used the Mark 4 series and have never had a tracking issue with any cant say the same about the so call best ,Zeiss ,Swar . nightforce, now the March scope is looking might nice but then thats around 2500+

18. TOOLMAKER 251

Sharky, Just to let you know the Marines are no longer using the Leupold MK4 scopes on their sniper rifles. There now using the Schmidt and Bender, Much better optics.

19. 5spd

5spd TS Member

One of my Savage FP10s results from just this morning....got the pair, side by side, Male & Female...:)
    No its just a .223 with a 50 gr vmax handload. BSA Platnum 6-24x44, 1/8" target dot scoped, dialed in at 100 & just twist knob for shots to 400+.
    I shoot this all day long to 400 yds. on p-dogs & Varmints.

20. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

If your looking for a great scope at an unbelievable price, check out the line from Mueller (see link). They are excellent quality, yet VERY inexpensive. I have an 8-25 x 50 on my Savage Model 12 in .204 Ruger and I can shoot three shots touching each other at 100 yards all day long. (at 4200 fps, BTW).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

savage varmint rifle forum